Calculating Forces on a Frame Member Supported by a Cable and Pulley System

In summary: The force on the pulley is T. The force on the diagonal member is -T. The force on the horizontal member is zero. The torque on the horizontal member is Mx.
Bradracer18

Homework Statement

A block with a mass of 150kg is supported by a cable which passes over a 150 mm diameter pulley that is attached to a frame. Determine all forces acting on member BCD of the frame.

The distance from A to B is 600mm, and the distance from A to C(just horizontal distance) is 400mm. Distance from A to D is 450mm. Also, the cable is at a 70 degree angle from the +y axis(or a 20 degree angle from the x).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Me and a buddy, are stuck on this. We are having a hard time with these type of problems. Need a walk though(real slow). I drew a free body diagram.

I've got forces on A(Ax and Ay), B(Bx and By), D(Dx and Dy). Also the pulley with a tension(T). Am I missing anything?

I don't understand how to solve these type of problems. In class, we usually make a lot of equations with unknowns...and then solve from the unknowns. This is usually done by summing forces in the x and y direction and then also taking moments about a few points(I think). I'm not sure what to use though...Please help...I'm falling behind.

Thanks,
Brad

Physics news on Phys.org
I wish i could help, if you could scan the problem or even rough sketch using Paint, it would help. Include on it your proposed forces, and you will get much greater response.

haha...crap...I forgot to post my crappy image from paint. I wish I had a scanner...but the paint will have to work.

View attachment supported weight.bmp

I guess we all need to hope the members remain at rest til the paint image passes muster.

Ok, my picture got approved. The 3 things on the left side are just attached to like a wall(doesn't much matter, but just wanted you to know, so it wouldn't look like a member).

Again, I have no clue if my free body is right, nor where to start(seems like way to many variables...too overwhelming for me).

So now please post the magnitude and assigned directions for all the forces you mentioned up above.

I don't really have directions(other than the ones I assigned in my diagram). Direction doesn't really matter but I have both Ax and Dx pointing to the right. And Ay and Dy pointing upwards. Bx and By(on member AB) Bx is towards the left, and By is pointing down. On member/point E, I just have tension T.

I don't have any magnitudes, as I'm stuck there. All I have is the lengths, and the weight hanging.

Is this any help yet?

So you have tension, then what is the force on the pulley, and in turn on the diagonal member, then the torque on the horizontal member, etc. post some numbers if you can.

1. What are the different types of forces that can act on a member?

There are four main types of forces that can act on a member: compression, tension, shear, and bending. Compression forces push on a member, causing it to shorten and compress. Tension forces pull on a member, causing it to elongate and stretch. Shear forces act parallel to the surface of the member, causing it to deform or slide. Bending forces cause a member to bend or twist.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude and direction of forces acting on a member?

The magnitude and direction of forces acting on a member can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion and the principles of statics. The first step is to draw a free-body diagram of the member, showing all the external and internal forces acting on it. Then, use equations such as F=ma and ΣFx=0 to solve for the unknown forces and determine their magnitude and direction.

3. What is the importance of understanding forces acting on a member in engineering?

Understanding the forces acting on a member is crucial in engineering as it allows us to design and construct structures that can withstand these forces. By knowing the magnitude and direction of forces, engineers can ensure that a member is strong enough to support the load it will experience and avoid any potential failures or collapses.

4. How does the shape and size of a member affect the forces acting on it?

The shape and size of a member can significantly impact the forces acting on it. For example, a longer member will experience greater bending forces than a shorter member under the same load. Similarly, a triangular-shaped member will be able to handle more compression forces than a rectangular member of the same size. The material of the member also plays a role in determining the forces it can withstand.

5. What are some common techniques used to reduce the forces acting on a member?

Some common techniques used to reduce the forces acting on a member include using bracing or trusses to distribute the load, adding reinforcements such as steel bars or cables, and changing the shape or size of the member to better withstand the forces. Additionally, proper design and construction techniques, such as accounting for potential loads and considering the material properties, can also help to minimize the forces acting on a member.