Alloy Lab Report: Solving Equations to Estimate Element Percentages in an Alloy

In summary: For example, if one has a metal ball with a mass of 1 kg and a volume of 1 cm3, then its density is 1 g/cm3. In summary, the question is asking how to estimate the percentage of two elements making up an alloy. The answer is that one can estimate it from the following equations, which assume a simple mixing of the two components. The equations provide only an estimate because the formation of an alloy typically involves processes more complex than simple mixing.
myelevatorbeat
First, here is the question:

The percentage of two elements making up an alloy can be estimated from the following equations, which assume a simple mixing of the two components:
Palloy=F1P1+F2P2
F1+F2=1

Here, F1 is the fraction of the alloy composed of element 1, and F2 is the fraction of the alloy composed of element 2. Again, these equations provide only an estimate because the formation of an alloy typically involves processes more complex than simple mixing. Solve these equations algabraically to derive formulas for f1 and f2. Next, plug in your measured density for steel and the spec densities of the two elemental components to estimate f1 and f2, the percentage of each component in the steel alloy of your sphere.

This is what I did so far but I don't really have a clue if it's wrong:

F1=Palloy - F2P2 / P1
F2=Palloy - F1P1 / P2

and F1=1-F2
F2=1-F1

I don't have a clue where to go from here. If someone could give me a hint on how to get started, I would really appreciate it.

So far, I was calculating it by:

x+y = 0.0282 kg (the mass of my steel ball)

x/1700 + y/7874 = 3.5914 x 10^-6

with
1700 =density of carbon
7874 = density of iron
3.5914 x 10^-6 = volume of ball

I don't think this way really follows the above formulas though.

So, would it be better to go 7852=1700x + 7874y
with
7852 = density of my ball bearing
1700=carbon density
7874=iron density

Also, how could I go about solving the above equation since I don't know what x or y are.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming one has used the right equations and values,

x+y = 0.0282 kg --> x = 0.0282 - y or y = 0.0282 - x
7852=1700x + 7874y

One has two equations and two unknowns.

Yeah, but somehow I'm supposed to solve those equations and get the answers to both variables and I just can't see how I'm going to do that.

Using either x = 0.0282 - y or y = 0.0282 - x

Use substitution into 7852=1700x + 7874y, which will give one an expression in only one variable. Then knowing the one value for x or y, substitute that value into either equation and solve for the other value.

Why would I use the mass though? The instructions tell me I should only use the 3 densities and be able to solve it.

Be careful about changing the definition of x and y.

If one uses just density, then for 7852=1700x + 7874y, x and y are fractions (on a mass basis), and y = 1-x. One can put density on a mass basis by multiplying by unit volume.

1. What is an alloy?

An alloy is a mixture of two or more elements, at least one of which is a metal. Alloys are created to improve the properties of the original elements, such as strength or corrosion resistance.

2. What is the purpose of an alloy lab report?

The purpose of an alloy lab report is to document the process and results of an experiment involving the creation or testing of an alloy. It allows for the replication of the experiment and provides valuable data for further research.

3. What information should be included in an alloy lab report?

An alloy lab report should include the purpose of the experiment, the materials and methods used, the results and data collected, and a discussion of the findings. It should also include any sources of error and suggestions for future research.

4. How do you analyze the results of an alloy lab report?

The results of an alloy lab report can be analyzed by comparing the properties of the alloy to those of the original elements. This can be done through various tests, such as measuring hardness, tensile strength, or corrosion resistance. Statistical analysis can also be used to determine the significance of the results.

5. What are some common challenges when writing an alloy lab report?

Some common challenges when writing an alloy lab report include accurately documenting the materials and methods used, properly interpreting the results, and effectively communicating the findings. It is also important to address any limitations or potential sources of error in the experiment.

Back