Vertical Limit: Finger Straightening & Consequences

In summary: she isnt in imminent danger of losing her finger so i dont think its as big of a deal.but in general, i would say its always preferable to set a dislocated joint as soon as possible so it doesnt get worse.
bioquest
In the movie Vertical Limit *spoiler alert*

a girl gets her finger crooked and she tells the guy she's a nurse and he has to straighten it. How much time do you have to straighten a crooked finger/whatever before it sets like that and they have to lose the finger or something and also what are the consequences of that?

Biology news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "gets her finger crooked"? Do you mean broken? She wouldn't be in jeopardy of losing a finger that's just broken if she doesn't have it set.

the scene with her finger is here (Don't watch it if you're planning on seeing Vertical Limit- spoiler alert)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmTxJMzwGAY&mode=related&search=

in resident evil apocalypse (For those who remember it/watch the scene) the girl got her finger crooked like that too and straightened it herself and it obviously hurt a lot when they both had it straightened. So what are the consequences of not straightening it and in what time period do you have to do that in?

Last edited:
I had my finger broken and pulled out of it's socket, it was pointing backwards. I put it back in place and went to the doctor, who even after 3 months couldn't see I had multiple fractures in 2 fingers, by the time I went to an orthopedic surgeon, the bones had healed crooked. The consequence of not setting the bones if they are displaced just means the finger will heal crooked and will need to be re-broken in order to reset it. The sooner the fracture is set, the better, but generally within 5 days, at most 10 days. But I'm not an expert, so perhaps someone will correct me if I am wrong.

bioquest said:
the scene with her finger is here (Don't watch it if you're planning on seeing Vertical Limit- spoiler alert)

in resident evil apocalypse (For those who remember it/watch the scene) the girl got her finger crooked like that too and straightened it herself and it obviously hurt a lot when they both had it straightened. So what are the consequences of not straightening it and in what time period do you have to do that in?
That was it, the tip of one finger was bent? She could have straightened it herself. And she claimed to be a nurse?

Evo said:
I had my finger broken and pulled out of it's socket, it was pointing backwards.
I so did not need that mental image.

Right up there with "the hobbling scene" in "Misery".

bioquest said:

I'm not watching the clip provided, but do recall the scene to which you're referring from Resident Evil Apocalypse. That appeared to be a simple dislocation, not a broken bone.

Even if a bone is broken and not set properly, there is a possibility that it can be re-broken to properly set it if it's interfering with normal function (it is obviously preferable to fix it right before the bone starts mending in an odd position).

i would bet its good to reset dislocated joints because its harder to do with loads of swelling in the area. i would think the swollen tissue would get in the way of a proper set.

note in that clip there is no swelling at all. when i dislocated my pinky finger at a 45 to the side, it was about 3x normal size in under an hour. if those were well fitting gloves and she was agitating the injury by falling on her hands when she stumbles through snow and it was a few hours old, it would be hard to get the glove off.

1. What is "Vertical Limit: Finger Straightening"?

"Vertical Limit: Finger Straightening" is a term used to describe the process of artificially straightening fingers that have become bent or curved due to conditions such as arthritis, injury, or congenital abnormalities.

2. How is "Vertical Limit: Finger Straightening" performed?

The procedure typically involves the use of a surgical technique called osteotomy, where the bones in the finger are cut and realigned to achieve a straighter position. In some cases, external fixation devices or pins may also be used to stabilize the bones during the healing process.

3. What are the potential consequences of "Vertical Limit: Finger Straightening"?

As with any surgical procedure, there are potential risks and complications associated with "Vertical Limit: Finger Straightening." These can include infection, nerve damage, stiffness, and loss of range of motion. Additionally, the success of the procedure depends on factors such as the severity of the finger deformity and the individual's overall health.

4. Who is a good candidate for "Vertical Limit: Finger Straightening"?

Candidates for "Vertical Limit: Finger Straightening" are individuals whose finger deformities are causing functional impairments and impacting their quality of life. This procedure is typically recommended for those who have exhausted other non-surgical treatment options.

5. What is the recovery process like for "Vertical Limit: Finger Straightening"?

The recovery process for "Vertical Limit: Finger Straightening" can vary depending on the individual and the extent of the procedure. Generally, patients will need to wear a splint or cast for several weeks after surgery and undergo physical therapy to regain strength and range of motion in the finger. It may take several months for the finger to fully heal and for the individual to return to their normal activities.