Finding Patterns in Multiple Dice Rolls: A Simple Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses a game where the outcome of one dice roll determines the number of dice to be rolled for a second time. The sum of the second roll determines the outcome of the game. The speaker is trying to find a simpler way to calculate the probabilities for each outcome with multiple dice. They mention a pattern they found and tested with 1, 2, and 3 dice, and conclude that it may work for up to 6 dice. However, another speaker points out an error in their initial calculation and offers a different solution. The conversation ends with the first speaker expressing gratitude for the suggestion.
rbzima
So, I'm having trouble seeing a pattern in this small analysis and was wondering if anyone might be able to lend a hand.

Suppose I toss a die with a result of n points. Then, whatever those n points are determines the number of dice you throw a second time. If the sum of your second throw is under 12, you lose, if it's 12, you win nothing, and if it's higher than 12, you win.

I have all the probabilities of 3 dice, but was wondering if there's a simpler way of finding the other probabilities? Since there are 18 possible numbers with 3 dice, I found that the triangular numbers starting with P(rolling a 3) for three dice is obviously 1/216, then P(rolling a 4) with 3 dice is 3 ways. Am I right to assume that there are then 6 ways for P(rolling a 5) and 10 ways for P(rolling a 6) until I reach the P(rolling a 9) because at that point the numbers are different as a result of having only six sided dice. Is there any way I might be able to see the others until I'm up to 6 dice.

I realize its far easier to find the lower numbers as I use more dice. Am I right to conclude this works for all scenarios up till 6 dice?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have, I think a simple way. Given one die, we have [tex]\sum_1^6 j=21.[/tex] Dividing by 6 gives the average value of 3.5.

We can just start with that. Thus tossing a die gives the likelyhood of 3.5, which means half the time it is 3 and half the time it is 4, probably. So that on the whole we arrive at [tex]\frac{3(3.5)+4(3.5)}{2} =(3.5)^2 =12.25.[/tex] (If in one case it was 2 and 5 rolls, it would average out to the same value above.)

Last edited:
robert Ihnot said:
I have, I think a simple way. Given one die, we have [tex]\sum_1^6 j=21.[/tex] Dividing by 6 gives the average value of 3.5.

We can just start with that. Thus tossing a die gives the likelyhood of 3.5, which means half the time it is 3 and half the time it is 4, probably. So that on the whole we arrive at [tex]\frac{3(3.5)+4(3.5)}{2} =(3.5)^2 =12.25.[/tex] (If in one case it was 2 and 5 rolls, it would average out to the same value above.)

NM, this is actually incorrect. I found an neat and easy way to solve this problem. The thing is, I need all the probabilities of multiple dice in play at the same time, and expected value is simply the payout times whatever the various probabilities are. It's alright though, because I found a nice pattern with the probabilities with 1 dice and 2 dice, and I tested it for 3 dice and sure enough, it works. Thanks for the suggestion though!

1. What is the Sum of Multiple Dice Rolls?

The sum of multiple dice rolls refers to the total value obtained by adding up the numbers shown on two or more dice after they are rolled.

2. How is the Sum of Multiple Dice Rolls calculated?

To calculate the sum of multiple dice rolls, you simply add up the numbers shown on each dice. For example, if you roll two dice and get a 3 and a 5, the sum of the two rolls would be 8.

3. What is the probability of getting a certain Sum of Multiple Dice Rolls?

The probability of getting a certain sum from multiple dice rolls depends on the number of dice and the number of sides on each dice. For example, when rolling two six-sided dice, the most common sum would be 7 with a probability of 6/36 or 1/6.

4. Can the Sum of Multiple Dice Rolls be used in games?

Yes, the sum of multiple dice rolls is commonly used in various games such as board games, card games, and role-playing games. It adds an element of chance and unpredictability to the game.

5. How does the Sum of Multiple Dice Rolls relate to probability and statistics?

The sum of multiple dice rolls is a fundamental concept in probability and statistics. It can be used to understand the likelihood of certain outcomes and to make predictions in various scenarios.