Physics summer assignment vector multiplication

In summary, vector multiplication in physics is a mathematical operation that combines two or more vectors to produce a new vector, used to represent physical quantities of magnitude and direction. It differs from scalar multiplication in that it involves multiple vectors and the resulting vector's direction is determined by the cross product or dot product. There are two types of vector multiplication: cross product and dot product. It is used in physics to calculate quantities such as work, torque, and momentum, and has real-world applications in engineering, navigation, and computer graphics.
grosenblatt

Homework Statement

In the product (Vector F) = q(Vector v) X (Vector B), take q = 2,
(Vector v) = 2.0i + 4.0j + 6.0k
(Vector F) = 4.0i - 20j + 12k

What than is (Vector B) in unit-vector notation if Bx = By

Homework Equations

dot and cross products

The Attempt at a Solution

4.0i - 20j + 12k = (8ybz - 12zby)i + (12zbx - 4xbz)j + (4xby - 8ybx)k

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone help? this is due tommorow =(. i really just don't know where to go from here at all

First, let's clarify the notation. In the homework statement, (Vector v) and (Vector B) are written in bold, indicating that they are vectors. However, in the attempt at a solution, they are written as scalars (2.0, 4.0, 6.0) and (Bx, By, Bz). For consistency, I will continue using vector notation throughout my response.

To solve this problem, we can use the properties of the cross product. First, we know that the cross product of two vectors is a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. This means that the vector (Vector F) is perpendicular to both (Vector v) and (Vector B).

Next, we can use the fact that the magnitude of the cross product is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two original vectors multiplied by the sine of the angle between them. In this case, we know that the magnitude of (Vector F) is equal to 2 times the magnitude of (Vector v). We also know that the angle between (Vector v) and (Vector B) is 90 degrees, since they are perpendicular.

So, we can set up the equation:
|Vector F| = 2|Vector v|sin(90)

Solving for |Vector v|, we get:
|Vector v| = |Vector F|/2

Substituting in the values given in the homework statement, we get:
|Vector v| = √(4^2 + (-20)^2 + 12^2)/2 = 14

Now, we can use the fact that the cross product is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two original vectors multiplied by the sine of the angle between them to find the magnitude of (Vector B).

|Vector B| = |Vector F|/(2|Vector v|)

Substituting in the values given in the homework statement, we get:
|Vector B| = √(4^2 + (-20)^2 + 12^2)/(2*14) = √(100/28) ≈ 2.380476

Finally, we can use the unit vector notation to express (Vector B). Since we know that the magnitude of (Vector B) is 2.380476, we can divide each component by this value to get the unit vector components.

1. What is vector multiplication in physics?

Vector multiplication in physics is a mathematical operation that combines two or more vectors to produce a new vector. It is used to represent the physical quantities of magnitude and direction.

2. How is vector multiplication different from scalar multiplication?

Vector multiplication involves two or more vectors, while scalar multiplication involves a vector and a scalar quantity. Additionally, in vector multiplication, the direction of the resulting vector is determined by the cross product or dot product of the original vectors, while in scalar multiplication, the resulting vector has the same direction as the original vector.

3. What are the different types of vector multiplication?

There are two types of vector multiplication in physics: the cross product and the dot product. The cross product produces a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors, while the dot product produces a scalar quantity that represents the projection of one vector onto the other.

4. How is vector multiplication used in physics?

Vector multiplication is used in physics to calculate quantities such as work, torque, and momentum. It is also used to represent the physical quantities of force, velocity, and acceleration.

5. What are some real-world applications of vector multiplication?

Vector multiplication is used in various fields, including engineering, navigation, and computer graphics. Some examples of real-world applications include calculating the forces acting on a bridge, determining the trajectory of a projectile, and creating 3D computer graphics.