RR=R: Solving the Matrix Conundrum

• Thread starter imsoconfused
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, given a two by two matrix R with each term being 0.5, the conversation discussed the fact that when R is multiplied by itself, the resulting matrix is still R. This is due to the principle of matrix multiplication and is similar to the concept of subtraction, where the result is still present after the operation. However, this is not true for all matrices and further exploration is needed to fully understand this concept.
imsoconfused
given R=[.5 .5]
_______[.5 .5]
(that's a two by two matrix where each term is .5)
why is RR=R?

I was just looking at the matrix and wondered what principle is behind that fact.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any "principle" behind this. It is just matrix multiplication with the matrices involved given the values such that it holds. It's a little like asking why 32-16 = 16. (why is 16 still there? Didn't I subtract it from 32 just now?).

well that's subtraction, which is kind of what I mean by principle. what I'm trying to do is find a way to express this in words... I can write out the equation until I'm blue in the face but that won't answer my question. are you saying that when you multiply any matrix times itself, you get that same matrix? I don't think that's true, but I could be missing something.

1. What is the Matrix Conundrum?

The Matrix Conundrum is a mathematical problem that involves solving a system of equations in the form of a matrix. In this problem, the number of variables is equal to the number of equations, resulting in a square matrix. The goal is to find values for each variable that will make the equations true.

2. How is the Matrix Conundrum solved?

The Matrix Conundrum can be solved using various methods, such as Gaussian elimination, Cramer's rule, or matrix inversion. These methods involve manipulating the matrix through row operations to reduce it to a simpler form, making it easier to solve for the variables.

3. What is the importance of solving the Matrix Conundrum?

The Matrix Conundrum has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and computer science. It is used to solve complex systems of equations and find solutions to problems that cannot be solved using traditional algebraic methods.

4. What are the challenges of solving the Matrix Conundrum?

The main challenge of solving the Matrix Conundrum is the potential for the matrix to be ill-conditioned. This means that small changes in the matrix's values can result in large changes in the solutions, making it difficult to find accurate solutions. Additionally, the process of manipulating the matrix can be time-consuming and prone to errors.

5. Are there any practical tips for solving the Matrix Conundrum?

To improve the accuracy and efficiency of solving the Matrix Conundrum, it is important to use proper row operations and keep track of any changes made to the matrix. It can also be helpful to use software or calculators specifically designed for solving matrices. Additionally, it is important to double-check the solutions to ensure they satisfy all of the original equations.