Is the Oregon bank blast a sign of a new Unibomber-style attack?

• News
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bomb
In summary, a bank blast in Ore. resulted in the death of a police officer and bomb expert. The bomb was found in bushes outside the bank and exploded after officers took it inside. The police chief declined to give details about the bomb, but mentioned it was powerful. The reason for taking the bomb inside is unknown and speculation suggests it may be related to the current financial situation. The incident serves as a reminder to remain vigilant and cautious of any suspicious objects in everyday environments.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
I hope this is not the beginning of another Unibomber-type campaign.

Ore. bank blast kills police officer, bomb expert
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081213/ap_on_re_us/bank_bombing

. . .
Hastings declined to describe the bomb in detail but indicated it was powerful.

A bank employee found the bomb in bushes outside the bank, and it exploded after officers took it inside.

Hastings said he did not know why the officers took the bomb inside.
. . .
I can't believe they took a bomb 'inside'! Unfortunately they were killed. Hopefully the police chief can shed light on the matter - unless he was part of the decision to take the bomb inside.

All I can say is be vigilant. If something looks out of place in your normal everyday environment - be careful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to guess this has more to do with the current financial situation than anything else.

russ_watters said:
I'm going to guess this has more to do with the current financial situation than anything else.

My thought as well.

What caused the bomb blast in the Oregon bank?

The cause of the bomb blast in the Oregon bank is currently under investigation. It is possible that it was a deliberate act of terrorism or a result of malfunctioning explosives.

Were there any casualties in the bomb blast?

As of now, there have been reports of injuries but no confirmed casualties. The authorities are still assessing the situation and providing medical assistance to those affected.

What measures are being taken to ensure the safety of people in the surrounding areas?

The area has been cordoned off and the bomb squad is conducting a thorough sweep of the surrounding areas to ensure there are no other explosive devices. The authorities are also advising people to stay away from the area for their own safety.

Has anyone claimed responsibility for the bomb blast?

At this time, no individual or group has claimed responsibility for the bomb blast. The investigation is ongoing and the authorities are looking into all possible leads.

How can the community support those affected by the bomb blast?

The best way to support those affected by the bomb blast is to offer emotional support and assistance in any practical ways. Donating to local organizations or volunteering to help with relief efforts are also ways to show support for the community during this difficult time.