I passed the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam

In summary, congratulations on your success on the April 2009 FE exam. There are many places to find practice problems that will help you with the exam, and I would recommend picking up the “FE Supplied-Reference Handbook.”
bobbarkernar
Not sure if this belongs here, and it probably doesn’t. I just wanted to let all you folks at Physics Forums that I recently found out that I passed the April 2009 FE exam (on my first try). I am a Senior Civil Engineering student at New Mexico State University. Also I would like to thank Physics Forums for all the help that you have given to me. Thanks! :biggrin:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Congrats!

It's quite a relief isn't it? I remember feeling a big weight off my shoulders when I found out too. Congrats.

Congrats

Congrats on the FE!

What next? Grad school?

Grad school would be nice, however I feel like I need a break from school. I'm excited to start working. Maybe it will be a good alternative after I get a taste of the realworld.

Thank you all for the congrats.

bobbarkernar said:
Grad school would be nice, however I feel like I need a break from school. I'm excited to start working. Maybe it will be a good alternative after I get a taste of the realworld.
That is a good thing. It's something I always recommend. Get experience and then move into grad school where you'll appreciate what you are learning all that much more. Plus you may get the benefit of having your employer pay for it (big $$$).

Just don't wait too long like I did. I waited almost 12 years after undergrad. It was a rocky start to say the least. But it does come back to you.

Good on ya, Bob. Congratulations for a job well done.

Good show!

and best wishes on new career

Congratulations! Let me ask one question: Where can I find online material of past FE problems. I wanted to use them for my own study.

My car broke down on my way to the FE exam. The only thing I was thinking of was, "NOOOOOoooo, I can't lose that non-refundable $150!"

minger said:
My car broke down on my way to the FE exam. The only thing I was thinking of was, "NOOOOOoooo, I can't lose that non-refundable $150!"

Well did you make it to the exam?

Last edited:
RTFVerterra said:
Congratulations! Let me ask one question: Where can I find online material of past FE problems. I wanted to use them for my own study.

There are many places to find practice problems that will help you with the FE exam. NCEES (the people who are responsible for making the exam) has practice problems. I would recommend picking up the “FE Supplied-Reference Handbook.” This is the book of equations and charts that is issued to you during the exam, and is the only reference that you are allowed to use.

http://www.ncees.org/exams/study_materials/

Also many engineering colleges offer preparation courses for the FE exam. The engineering program that I am in had one such program. It ran every Thursday from 7PM to 9PM, and I bet you could find a similar class near you.

Personally I bought a review manual from PPI it was called “FE Review Manual (FERM2),” and retails for around $70. http://ppi2pass.com/ppi/PPIShop?ct=FEEXAM

Last edited by a moderator:
bobbarkernar said:
Well did you make it to the exam?

Yea, I got a ride. Luckily the ride to the exam was more precarious than the test itself.

FredGarvin said:
That is a good thing. It's something I always recommend. Get experience and then move into grad school where you'll appreciate what you are learning all that much more. Plus you may get the benefit of having your employer pay for it (big $$$).

Just don't wait too long like I did. I waited almost 12 years after undergrad. It was a rocky start to say the least. But it does come back to you.
I concur with this. There's a lot to be said for working (and collecting a salary) and gaining experience, but then giving that up to be a full time student is tough, especially if one is married, and even more so with children. If one is lucky, then one could do grad school as a part time student. It's doable, but it's also tough on one and one's family.

bobbarkernar said:
There are many places to find practice problems that will help you with the FE exam. NCEES (the people who are responsible for making the exam) has practice problems. I would recommend picking up the “FE Supplied-Reference Handbook.” This is the book of equations and charts that is issued to you during the exam, and is the only reference that you are allowed to use.

http://www.ncees.org/exams/study_materials/

Also many engineering colleges offer preparation courses for the FE exam. The engineering program that I am in had one such program. It ran every Thursday from 7PM to 9PM, and I bet you could find a similar class near you.

Personally I bought a review manual from PPI it was called “FE Review Manual (FERM2),” and retails for around $70. http://ppi2pass.com/ppi/PPIShop?ct=FEEXAM

Hello bobbarkernar, thank you for your reply and for the link. I am from the other part of the globe, and your above mentioned materials are not easy to acquire in our area. I made an order from the link and I am waiting its arrival. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are from another part of the globe, why do you care about the FE exam?

FredGarvin said:
If you are from another part of the globe, why do you care about the FE exam?

I am expecting somebody will ask me about this. :) I am in teaching profession, and I teach review classes in engineering. My students are preparing for engineering board exams in our country. Part of my job is to research for as many engineering problems as I could. I am pretty sure FE exam is an abundant source.

What is the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam?

The Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam is an exam administered by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) to assess the knowledge and skills of individuals seeking to become licensed engineers. It covers basic engineering principles and is the first step in the process of becoming a licensed professional engineer.

How do I know if I passed the FE Exam?

You will receive your results via email approximately 7-10 days after taking the exam. The email will include your pass/fail status and a diagnostic report showing your strengths and weaknesses in each topic area.

What is the passing score for the FE Exam?

The passing score for the FE Exam varies by state and is determined by the NCEES. It is typically around 70%, but can range from 60-75%. The NCEES uses a scaled scoring system to ensure consistency across different versions of the exam.

How long is the FE Exam valid for?

The FE Exam results are valid for a certain amount of time, depending on the state. In most states, the FE Exam results are valid for 5-6 years. After this time period, you will have to retake the exam if you have not completed the requirements for licensure.

What should I do after passing the FE Exam?

Congratulations! After passing the FE Exam, you can start working towards obtaining your Professional Engineer (PE) license. This typically involves gaining a certain amount of work experience and passing the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) Exam in your chosen engineering discipline. You should also check with your state's licensing board for any additional requirements.