How do I take the derivative of (2x+1)^3(3-x)^2?

• Thread starter silentsaber
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the process for finding the derivative of (2x+1)^3(3-x)^2 involves using the product rule and the chain rule. After simplifying and grouping like terms, the correct answer is c.) 2(2x+1)^2(3-x)(5x-3). It is important to check your work and make sure all factors are accounted for in the final answer.
silentsaber

Homework Statement

taking the derivative of this:(2x+1)^3(3-x)^2

Answer Choices
a.) 2(2x+1)^2(3-x)(x-10)
b.) -2(2x+1)^2(3-x)(x-10)
c.) 2(2x+1)^2(3-x)(5x-3)
d.) -2(2x+1)^2(3-x)(5x-8)
e.) -12(2x+1)^2(3-x)

Homework Equations

Product rule and chain rule

The Attempt at a Solution

i was thinking of using product rule and then the chain rule

after i used the product and chain rule i get 2(3)(2x+1)^2(3-x)^2+(-1)(3-x)(2x+1)^3 ..but then when i look at the answer choices it doesn't match any am i missing a step or..?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hey ilent saber, i'd check your working, i tink you missed a factor of 2 in the 2nd half of product rule

then look at grouping terms with (2x+1)^2(3-x), then simplifying the rest

Do it this way:

[tex](2x+1)^3(3-x)^2[/tex]

[tex]u=2x+1, z=3-x[/tex]

[tex][(2x+1)^3(3-x)^2]'=[((2x+1)^3)'(3-x)^2+(2x+1)^3((3-x)^2)']=[(u^3)'u'(3-x)^2+(2x+1)^3((z^2)'z')][/tex]

Now just find the derivatives of the remaining terms. :smile:

What is the definition of a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

Why is taking the derivative important?

Taking the derivative allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of a function. It helps us find the maximum and minimum values of a function, determine the slope of a curve, and solve optimization problems.

What are the different ways to express a derivative?

A derivative can be expressed in several forms, including the limit definition, the power rule, the product rule, the quotient rule, and the chain rule. Each form is used to simplify the process of finding the derivative of a function.

What is the relationship between a derivative and a graph?

The derivative of a function is closely related to the graph of the function. The slope of a function's graph at a specific point is equal to the value of the derivative at that point. This means that the derivative can be used to determine the shape and behavior of a function's graph.

How do you find the derivative of a composite function?

To find the derivative of a composite function, you can use the chain rule. This rule states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.