Electric Flux Density / Electric Field Intensity

In summary, Electric Flux Density D and Electric Field Intensity E are both related to the permittivity of a medium, but D depends on relative permittivity while E only depends on the permittivity of free space. While D reflects only free charges, E reflects both free and bound charges. Additionally, D is independent of the medium it is in, while E is dependent on the medium. However, both fields can still change between media depending on the boundary conditions and the accumulation of charges.
zaydana
Hey people,

I'm struggling to understand exactly what Electric Flux Density D and Electric Field Intensity E are.

So far, my understanding is that D depends on relative permittivity, while E depends only on the permittivity of free space. Also, I understand that D reflects only the free charges, while E reflects both free and bound charges. Where I'm stuck though, is that my book also tells me that D is independent of the medium it is in, while E is dependent on the medium it is in. This just doesn't click with me, since the actual value of E doesn't change if you change the medium (and thus the relative permittivity), while the value of D does.

Can anyone help me out here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The vector quantity B is not the electric flux density, it is the magnetic flux density (or magnetic field depending upon your reference). D is the electric flux density and is related to the electric field by

[tex]\mathbf{D} = \epsilon \mathbf{E}[/tex]

The boundary conditions for D and E are different. For example, the tangential E field is continuous across a boundary but the normal E field is discontinuous. The normal D across the boundary differs by the charge density that accumulates on the boundary so if we assume no bound charges then the normal D field is continuous, but the normal E field is still discontinuous if there is a change int he permittivity.

So both the D and E fields can change between media depending upon the properties of the media but most cases will assume that no charges will build up on the interface and thus the D field can be continuous in more cases.

Last edited:

Electric flux density (D) and electric field intensity (E) are two important concepts in the study of electricity and electromagnetism. They both relate to the strength and distribution of electric fields, but they have some key differences.

Firstly, D is a measure of the amount of electric flux passing through a given area. It is directly proportional to the number of electric field lines passing through that area. On the other hand, E is a measure of the strength of the electric field at a given point. It is the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed at that point.

Secondly, D and E have different units. D is measured in coulombs per square meter (C/m^2), while E is measured in volts per meter (V/m).

As you mentioned, D is dependent on the relative permittivity of the medium, while E is dependent only on the permittivity of free space. This is because D takes into account the effect of all charges (both free and bound) in the medium, while E only considers the effect of free charges. Bound charges are those that are held in place by the atoms or molecules of the medium, and they do not contribute to the electric field outside of the medium.

This leads to the difference in how D and E are affected by the medium they are in. D is independent of the medium because it takes into account the effect of all charges, regardless of the medium. However, E is dependent on the medium because it only considers the effect of free charges, which may vary depending on the medium.

In summary, D and E are related but distinct concepts that help us understand the strength and distribution of electric fields. D is a measure of the amount of electric flux passing through a given area, while E is a measure of the strength of the electric field at a given point. They have different units and are affected differently by the medium they are in. I hope this helps clarify your understanding of these concepts.

1. What is the difference between electric flux density and electric field intensity?

Electric flux density is a measure of the amount of electric flux passing through a unit area of a surface, while electric field intensity is a measure of the strength of an electric field at a given point. In other words, electric flux density is a vector quantity that describes the flux of an electric field, while electric field intensity is a scalar quantity that describes the strength of the electric field itself.

2. How are electric flux density and electric field intensity related?

Electric flux density is directly proportional to the electric field intensity. This means that if the electric field intensity increases, the electric flux density will also increase, and vice versa. Mathematically, the relationship between the two can be expressed as D = εE, where D is the electric flux density, ε is the permittivity of the medium, and E is the electric field intensity.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric flux density and electric field intensity?

The SI unit for electric flux density is coulombs per square meter (C/m²), while the SI unit for electric field intensity is volts per meter (V/m). However, in some cases, other units may be used, such as newtons per coulomb (N/C) for electric field intensity.

4. How is electric flux density and electric field intensity related to Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of the medium. This can be mathematically expressed as Φ = Q/ε. Since electric flux density is related to the electric flux, and electric field intensity is related to the permittivity, this equation can be rewritten as D = εE, showing the relationship between the two quantities and Gauss's Law.

5. What factors can affect the value of electric flux density and electric field intensity?

The value of electric flux density and electric field intensity can be affected by several factors, including the distance from the source of the electric field, the presence of other charges or conductors nearby, and the properties of the medium (such as its permittivity). Additionally, the direction and orientation of the electric field vectors can also affect the values of these quantities.