Accelerating Universe, Relativistic Mass and Dark Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the death of the universe, specifically the theories surrounding the acceleration of the universe and its potential to reach a point where it can no longer accelerate. The conversation also touches on the role of dark energy in this process and the potential for a "big crunch" scenario. The person speaking is seeking input and resources to further understand and support these theories.
oXDawidXo
Hi!

Well, I have a problem, I'm writing Extended Project For Applied Science about Death of the Universe, I am stuck. I am really desperate so I decided to put it on forum.
First:
The Universe is accelerating so, according to Lorentz's Factor, its mass should be increasing

[tex]
m = \gamma m_{0} = \frac {m_{0}} { \sqrt{1-v^{2}/c^{2}} }
[/tex]

gamma-300x198.jpg

Because this graph is an asymptote, the mass of expanding universe starts to go up rapidly after about 0.95c (95% of the light's speed). Mass increases gravity forces between galaxies. The universe cannot expand faster than light, so I suppose as the universe continues expanding the mass eventually will reach a point where the relativistic mass creates so big gravity force that it will stop the universe from accelerating. Will the expansion slow down, will it just keep expanding with constant speed or what?

Second:

Dark energy is a form of potential energy which causes the accelerating universe, so the potential energy must be turning into kinetic one, so eventually all potential energy will be turned to the kinetic one and if there is no source in dark energy the gravity will be dominant force in the universe and that leads to big crunch, doesn't it?

The thing is that I can't find neither any resources to prove those theories nor any mistakes in them myself.

Any comments are welcome ;D

PS I'm sorry for errors, I'm not English

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
oXDawidXo said:
The Universe is accelerating so, according to Lorentz's Factor, its mass should be increasing

You are misusing that equation. The v is the relative velocity bewteen two frames. The universe as a whole is not moving relative to something else - because by definition the universe is all that there is.

Thanks, that helped a lot ;D

1. What is an accelerating universe?

An accelerating universe is a concept in physics that describes the expansion of the universe. The expansion of the universe is believed to be accelerating due to the presence of dark energy, a mysterious force that is causing the expansion to speed up rather than slow down.

2. What is relativistic mass?

Relativistic mass is a concept in Einstein's theory of relativity that describes the mass of an object as it moves at high speeds. It takes into account the increase in mass that occurs as an object approaches the speed of light. However, this concept is no longer widely used in modern physics as it has been replaced by the concept of rest mass, which does not change with velocity.

3. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is believed to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe, but its exact nature and properties are still largely unknown to scientists.

4. How is dark energy related to the accelerating universe?

Dark energy is believed to be the driving force behind the accelerating expansion of the universe. It is thought to exert a repulsive force on matter, causing it to move away from other matter and thereby accelerating the expansion of the universe.

5. Can dark energy be measured or observed?

Currently, dark energy cannot be directly measured or observed. Its existence is inferred from the observation of the accelerating expansion of the universe and its effects on the movements of galaxies. Scientists are actively researching ways to detect and study dark energy, but it remains a mysterious and elusive force in our universe.