Positively charged plastic rod of length L

In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric potential at point P for a positively charged plastic rod with a given length and charge density. A formula is provided and an error in the formula is pointed out, which is corrected by adjusting the values used in the formula. There is also a reminder about the form of the formula and a link to a thread discussing it.
Kas0988

Homework Statement

25-36.jpg

The figure shows a positively charged plastic rod of length L = 2.40 m and uniform linear charge density 8.00×10-3 C/m. Setting V= 0 at infinity, find the electric potential at point P for d = 1.536 m.

Homework Equations

asfd.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, I plugged in the values to this formula. It should be setup as:
(2)*(8.99e9)*(8e-3)*ln[((2.4/4) + sqrt((2.4)^2/4 + (1.536)^2))/1.536]

All of this churns out to be 72811647.46708032. However, this is not correct. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been away from this for a long time, but I think there may be an error in your formula. It should have the form of the difference between an upper and a lower value of an integral. Check out this thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=296367
and note that it uses x in place of your d.

Kas0988 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, I plugged in the values to this formula. It should be setup as:
(2)*(8.99e9)*(8e-3)*ln[((2.4/4) + sqrt((2.4)^2/4+ (1.536)^2))/1.536]

All of this churns out to be 72811647.46708032. However, this is not correct. Any ideas?

You have a mistake when plugging in the data, this is the correct formula for the figure on the left:

(2)*(8.99e9)*(8e-3)*ln[((2.4/2) + sqrt((2.4)^2/4+ (1.536)^2))/1.536]

ehild

Delphi51 said:
I've been away from this for a long time, but I think there may be an error in your formula. It should have the form of the difference between an upper and a lower value of an integral.

Delphi, the formula is OK, the integral is taken between x=0 and x=L/2, and doubled.

ehild

1. What is a positively charged plastic rod?

A positively charged plastic rod is an object made of plastic material that has been given a positive electric charge, meaning it has an excess of positive electrons. This charge can be created by rubbing the rod with another material, such as fur or wool.

2. How does a positively charged plastic rod work?

When a plastic rod is rubbed with another material, it gains a positive charge by transferring electrons from one material to the other. This creates a static electric charge on the surface of the rod, which can attract or repel other objects with opposite or similar charges.

3. What are the properties of a positively charged plastic rod?

A positively charged plastic rod has a positive electric charge, which means it has an excess of positive electrons on its surface. It also has the ability to attract negatively charged objects and repel positively charged objects.

4. What is the length of a positively charged plastic rod?

The length of a positively charged plastic rod can vary depending on the specific object. However, in general, the length of the rod does not affect its ability to carry a positive charge or interact with other charged objects.

5. How is a positively charged plastic rod used in scientific experiments?

A positively charged plastic rod is often used in electrostatic experiments to demonstrate the effects of static electric charges. It can also be used to create simple circuits or to charge other objects for further experimentation. Additionally, it is commonly used in classroom demonstrations to teach about electricity and electric charges.