About phasor voltage and phasor current.

In summary, we know that phasor voltage, current, and impedance can be represented by vectors. We also know that phasor voltage is equal to the product of phasor current and impedance. However, it is unclear what the process of multiplication is for these complex numbers. It is also uncertain why complex multiplication is not done using the dot or cross product. One possibility is to do the calculations in complex notation and see if they can be converted to the dot product or real-valued vectors. Another option is to use a 2x2 matrix form to represent complex numbers, as this is commonly used in SPICE programs. However, using a 2x1 vector for these calculations can become complicated and difficult to keep track
sabbir ahmed
we know that phasor voltage, current and impedence can be represented by vector. we know phasor v is equals to the product of phasor i and impedence. the what is the process of multiplication? is it dot or cross product?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have no idea. Do you know how to multiply complex numbers? If I wanted the voltage as a function of impedence and current. I would express impedence, current and voltage as complex numbers.

Phrak said:
I have no idea. Do you know how to multiply complex numbers? If I wanted the voltage as a function of impedence and current. I would express impedence, current and voltage as complex numbers.

if complex number can be measured like a vector then why complex multiplication is not dot or cross?

sabbir ahmed said:
if complex number can be measured like a vector then why complex multiplication is not dot or cross?

Do the calculations in complex notation and see if you have can convert it to the dot product or real valued vectors.

The only way I've ever seen complex numbers in matrix form was like so:

[real -imag]
[imag real ]

So it's a two by two matrix, so if you input the impedance, and current into these equations and do the DOT-PRODUCT, you'll get the voltage in matrix form.

I don't think you can easily do it with a 2x1 vector though. It gets complicated and very difficult to keep track.

Try the matrix thing yourself. It's kind of need. I think this is a building block on SPICE programs, not sure though about that

--------------
Justin Coulston
justin.coulston@gmail.com
TheModernEngineer.blogspot.com

1. What is a phasor?

A phasor is a complex number that represents the amplitude and phase of a sinusoidal voltage or current. It is typically represented by an arrow in a complex plane, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the angle representing the phase difference.

2. How is phasor voltage different from regular voltage?

Phasor voltage is a complex number, while regular voltage is a real number. Phasor voltage takes into account both the magnitude and phase of a sinusoidal voltage, while regular voltage only represents the magnitude.

3. What is the relationship between phasor voltage and phasor current?

Phasor voltage and phasor current are related by Ohm's law, where the phasor voltage is equal to the product of the phasor current and the impedance of the circuit. This relationship allows us to analyze AC circuits using phasor notation.

4. How are phasors used in electrical engineering?

Phasors are used in electrical engineering to simplify the analysis of AC circuits. By converting sinusoidal signals into phasors, we can use algebraic equations to solve for voltage and current values, rather than using complex calculus. Phasor analysis is commonly used in power systems and electronics.

5. Can phasors be used to analyze non-sinusoidal signals?

Yes, phasors can be used to analyze non-sinusoidal signals by using a technique called Fourier analysis. This involves breaking down the signal into its component sinusoidal waves and representing each with a phasor. The sum of these phasors will then accurately represent the original non-sinusoidal signal.