Is a Guinea Pig-Powered Lawnmower the Solution to Your Yard Work Woes?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a device created by a handyman named Watts that allows a guinea pig to push a rolling wire wheel to mow and fertilize a lawn without the use of fuel or electricity. The conversation also delves into the topic of using animal waste as fertilizer for lawns and the behavior of dogs in consuming it. Some participants suggest modifying the device for cats, while others share their experiences with dogs eating animal waste. One participant also shares a story about a dog barking at a calf to produce a "gooey little treat" for lunch.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...A talented handyman, Watts came up with a rolling wire wheel that Acorn, the guinea pig, could push around. The device ``mows and fertilizes your lawn for free without fuel or electricity. [continued]

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/8225358.htm?1c

All of this time the solution to the "lawn mowing problem" has been hiding in old Flintstone cartoons!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So there IS a useful pet then...

There used to be an old gent down the road who would sit in his front yard and watch his horse eat [and fertilize] the front yard. It never needed mowing but the yard games were a little tricky I suppose. :biggrin:

eurgh :yuck: the horse would be eating its own poo!

Haven't you ever heard of recycling?!

Really, when we have cows in the pasture you can always tell where the poo lies - in the tall grass! All over the pasture you see ~ 2ft diameter circles of high grass with a pie in the middle. After the rain, little puddles would form in the center of each pie. Crash would then run from pile to pile to lick up the poo puddles; or in a freeze, the poopsicles. I guess that's pretty good stuff for a dog!

Ivan Seeking said:
Haven't you ever heard of recycling?!

Really, when we have cows in the pasture you can always tell where the poo lies - in the tall grass! All over the pasture you see ~ 2ft diameter circles of high grass with a pie in the middle. After the rain, little puddles would form in the center of each pie. Crash would then run from pile to pile to lick up the poo puddles; or in a freeze, the poopsicles. I guess that's pretty good stuff for a dog!

:yuck: :yuck: That's good eatin'! :yuck: :yuck:

Yep!

http://imageuploader.milbrathnet.net/uploads/Crash[/URL] sm.jpg[/PLAIN]

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't get the picture but i guess it is of your dog eating cow faeces... maybe it is better I don't see it...

Can they modify this for cats?

Except how do you keep the cat in the yard, and out of trees, ok, nevermind.

Dogs love poop. I used to have a dog that was always snacking in the cat box. :yuck:

jimmy p said:
I couldn't get the picture but i guess it is of your dog eating cow faeces... maybe it is better I don't see it...

No poop eating; just her smiling face.

I am wondering about something. If you right click on the red X, do you have the "show picture" option available? Does this make the picture visible if you hit it?

Ivan Seeking said:
No poop eating; just her smiling face.

I am wondering about something. If you right click on the red X, do you have the "show picture" option available? Does this make the picture visible if you hit it?

Dogs smile? About eating TURDS? Those animals have some serious issues. :yuck:

And yes, i do get the red cross and the option but when I click, nothing happens.

Crash would then run from pile to pile to lick up the poo puddles; or in a freeze, the poopsicles. I guess that's pretty good stuff for a dog!
The best stuff of all is birthed by the youngest calves nursing from mother moo. One particularly intelligent dog I once had would bark at the calf in an attempt to frighten an output from it. It was a very rich, gooey little treat all my dogs savored.

*let’s scare up some grub and do lunch real soon*

1. What is a Guinea Pig Lawnmower?

A Guinea Pig Lawnmower is a unique gardening tool that utilizes live guinea pigs to trim and maintain grass in a lawn or garden. The guinea pigs are placed in a specially designed harness that allows them to graze on the grass while being led around the lawn.

2. How does a Guinea Pig Lawnmower work?

A Guinea Pig Lawnmower works by attaching a harness to a group of guinea pigs and allowing them to graze on the grass in the designated area. The guinea pigs will naturally trim the grass as they eat, making it an eco-friendly and natural way to maintain a lawn.

3. Is it safe for the guinea pigs?

Yes, it is safe for the guinea pigs as long as they are properly trained and monitored while using the Guinea Pig Lawnmower. The harness is designed to be comfortable for the guinea pigs and they are given breaks and rest periods during the lawn mowing process.

4. What are the benefits of using a Guinea Pig Lawnmower?

There are several benefits to using a Guinea Pig Lawnmower. It is an eco-friendly and natural alternative to traditional lawnmowers, as it does not require any gas or electricity. It also provides exercise for the guinea pigs and can be a fun and interactive way to maintain a lawn.

5. Can any type of grass be trimmed with a Guinea Pig Lawnmower?

Yes, a Guinea Pig Lawnmower can be used on most types of grass. However, it is important to make sure that the grass is not too thick or long, as this may be difficult for the guinea pigs to trim. It is also recommended to avoid using the Guinea Pig Lawnmower on chemically treated grass to ensure the safety of the guinea pigs.

Back