LaTeX: Text type, displayed type?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different delimiters for TeX expressions, with one being recommended over the other due to potential issues with AMS-LaTeX macros. The alternative suggested is to use \[...\] instead of $$...$$. The speaker also mentions not having encountered any problems with this alternative. Clarification is given on whether the problem lies in the implementation or function of 'displayed type' and the speaker ultimately decides to continue using the recommended delimiter.
ozmotion
After playing around with MathType's translate to LaTeX tool, I noticed it encloses its translated TeX expressions with either $<expression>$ or $$<expression>$$ depending on whether "Inline Equation" is toggled or not.

Being new to TeX, I looked this up, and the wiki page (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Mathematics" ) suggests that "Using the $$...$$ should be avoided, as it may cause problems, particularly with the AMS-LaTeX macros."

Why is this discouraged, and what is the alternative?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is that it may cause problems with AMS-LaTeX macros. :tongue: I've always used \[...\] instead of $$...$$ so I haven't actually encountered the problems.

Hurkyl said:
My guess is that it may cause problems with AMS-LaTeX macros. :tongue: I've always used \[...\] instead of $$...$$ so I haven't actually encountered the problems.

thanks for the clarification. i wasn't sure if it was the implementation or function of 'displayed type' that was a problem, or if it was just the syntax.

since i have no control over mathtype's translation to latex, ill just live with it.

1. What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting software used for creating high-quality documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and academia.

2. What is the difference between text type and displayed type in LaTeX?

Text type refers to the regular body text of a document, while displayed type refers to equations, figures, and other elements that are displayed separately from the main text. In LaTeX, displayed type is often formatted differently and given its own numbering system.

3. How do I format text in LaTeX?

To format text in LaTeX, you can use commands such as \textbf{} for bold, \textit{} for italics, and \underline{} for underlining. You can also adjust the font size and style using various commands.

4. Can I include images in my LaTeX document?

Yes, you can include images in your LaTeX document using the \includegraphics{} command. This command allows you to specify the file name, size, and placement of the image within the document.

5. How do I create a table in LaTeX?

To create a table in LaTeX, you can use the \begin{tabular}{} and \end{tabular} commands. Within these commands, you can specify the number of columns, alignment, and content of each cell in the table.