Engineering post-graduate degree with physics undergraduate

In summary, it is possible for scientists to pursue engineering at the post-graduate level through joint degrees or specialized programs, which can enhance job opportunities.
orangeIV
I'm just about to embark on a Physics degree in England, and am just finishing a year long industrial placement at a major oil and gas company. One thing that is particularly noticeable about my workplace is that everyone seems to be an engineer, suggesting that they are infinatley more employable than Physicists. The physics course looks far more appealing than the engineering course at my university. However, I was wondering whether it is possible for scientists to go on to become engineers at post-graduate level should I change my mind.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible for scientists to go on to become engineers at the post-graduate level. Many universities offer joint degrees in science and engineering, and some even offer dedicated programs designed specifically for individuals who are looking to switch specializations. Depending on your specific field of study, it may also be possible to obtain a graduate certificate or degree in engineering that focuses on a specific area of specialization. Additionally, many employers look favorably on applicants who have a strong academic background in both science and engineering, so pursuing a dual degree may be beneficial for those who are looking to expand their job prospects.

What is an engineering post-graduate degree with a physics undergraduate?

An engineering post-graduate degree with a physics undergraduate is a graduate-level program that combines the study of engineering principles with a strong foundation in physics. This degree is designed for individuals who have completed an undergraduate degree in physics and wish to pursue advanced studies in engineering.

What are the benefits of pursuing an engineering post-graduate degree with a physics undergraduate?

There are several benefits to pursuing this type of degree. First, it allows students to combine their knowledge of physics with engineering principles, making them well-rounded and highly skilled professionals. Additionally, this degree can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as aerospace, renewable energy, and materials science.

What are the prerequisites for a engineering post-graduate degree with a physics undergraduate?

The specific prerequisites may vary depending on the program, but generally, applicants should have a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and chemistry. Some programs may also require coursework in engineering or related fields.

What types of courses can I expect to take in an engineering post-graduate degree with a physics undergraduate program?

The courses offered may differ depending on the program, but some common courses include engineering mechanics, materials science, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. Students may also have the opportunity to specialize in a specific area of engineering, such as mechanical, electrical, or chemical engineering.

What career opportunities are available with an engineering post-graduate degree with a physics undergraduate?

Graduates of this program can pursue a variety of career paths in industries such as aerospace, automotive, renewable energy, and telecommunications. They may work as engineers, researchers, or consultants, applying their knowledge of both physics and engineering to solve complex problems and develop innovative solutions.