MSc Physics: Struggling With Difficult Project

• Thread starter motoroller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Msc
In summary: If you're struggling with a problem and can't find a solution, it's ok to reach out to me for help. I'm happy to offer advice or help in any way I can.In summary, the difficulty of the project is due in part to the fact that the chosen project was canceled and the student was instead allocated a completely different project. The student is struggling to communicate with their supervisor and is looking for advice on how to get through the difficulty.
motoroller
I'm doing my MSc Physics project right now (I've already done a 4-year undergraduate course), and I'm finding the going very tough. My exam results were fine (I got a good percentage), but my project is due in a month and I'm finding it extremely difficult.

I think part of the reason is because my chosen project (QM, Markovian evolution etc) was canceled at the last minute and instead I was allocated a completely different project (CMP, computational simulation). I had no choice in this. The same happened at undergraduate level, but everyone was randomly allocated a project. That meant that the going was tough.

I accept that I'm expected to be doing research very independently, but throughout the project my supervisor has been a bit vague on the details of the research. I find this weird because he's then very specific about what he was looking for. I'm not psychic - I'm a physicist!

So, any advice or tips on how to get through this? :S

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the help, everyone!

I'm not sure if you're comment above is meant to be sacrastic or not.

Perhaps it would help if you had a more specific question. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of advice I can offer in a situation like this. Is the source of your difficulty communication with your supervisor?

Either way, communication between student and supervisor is a two-way street. When you meet, make sure that you ask the specific questions about your project that you need answers to. If you don't understand the answer, ask for clarification. Establish specific goals between now and the next meeting and confirm with your supervisor that they are reasonable and achievable.

If face-to-face meetings don't work, try email dialogues. Some people are more comfortable typing answers out.

If your supervisor is the source of the problem, try asking for help from other committee members, post-docs, or other senior graduate students.

1. What is the purpose of an MSc Physics project?

The purpose of an MSc Physics project is to provide students with an opportunity to apply their knowledge and skills in a specific area of physics and to conduct independent research. It allows students to deepen their understanding of a particular topic and to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. What are some common challenges students face when working on an MSc Physics project?

Some common challenges students may face when working on an MSc Physics project include choosing a suitable and feasible topic, managing time effectively, collecting and analyzing data, and interpreting results. Additionally, students may struggle with technical issues or experimental errors.

3. How can I manage my time effectively while working on a difficult MSc Physics project?

To manage your time effectively, it is important to create a realistic timeline and schedule for your project. Break down the project into smaller tasks and set deadlines for each task. Additionally, make sure to prioritize your tasks and allocate enough time for each one. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from your supervisor or peers.

4. What steps can I take to overcome difficulties in my MSc Physics project?

If you are struggling with a difficult MSc Physics project, there are several steps you can take to overcome difficulties. First, make sure to communicate regularly with your supervisor and seek their advice and guidance. Additionally, reach out to other experts or peers in your field for support and feedback. Finally, don't be afraid to take a break or ask for help when needed.

5. How can I make my MSc Physics project stand out?

To make your MSc Physics project stand out, it is important to choose a unique and innovative topic that aligns with your interests and expertise. Make sure to conduct thorough research and use appropriate methods and techniques. Additionally, strive for clear and concise communication and make sure to highlight any significant findings or contributions in your project.