Exact value of truncation error

In summary, the calculation of the exact value of the truncation error in finite element analysis using the forward finite difference method involves taking the difference between the value of the function and the value of the finite method. This can be done by evaluating the exact error at a specific node (i,n+1) using the finite difference method-time derivative. However, when plugging in numerical values for x, t, and \Delta t, it may not be possible to calculate an exact value for the truncation error. Additionally, the leading truncated term refers to the first derivative term that is dropped from the finite difference expression, with the number of terms truncated determining the value of the leading truncated term.
roldy
How would you calculate the exact value of the truncation error? This is of course for finite element analysis using the forward finite difference method.

If your given a function u=u(x,t) and are to find the error at node (i,n+1), wouldn't you just take the difference between the value of the function and the value of the finite method?

So for example
u=u(x,t)=x*sin(t)
du/dt=x*cos(t)

finite difference method-time derivative:
[itex]\frac{\partial ^u}{\partial t}=\frac{u_i^{n+1}-u_i^n}{\Delta t}=\frac{x*sin(t+\Delta t)-x*sin(t)}{\Delta t}[/itex]

So therefore the exact error is...
[itex]x*cos(t)-\left[\frac{x*sin(t+\Delta t)-x*sin(t)}{\Delta t}\right][/itex]

However, if you were to plug in numbers for x, t, and [itex]\Delta t[/itex], I don't see a way of calculating an exact value for the truncation error. Is my thought process wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the exact error, you can evaluate the exact value.

Assuming that my error equation is correct, that should result in the error. One other thing that I'm curious about is the leading truncated term. I've seen this a couple times before but I can not find the site where it talks more in depth. What is the leading truncated term? The only thing I can think of is the first derivative term dropped from the finite difference expression. Say for example you only want the first three terms truncated. Then in your expression you would include the value of the function at t, 1st derivative term, and the 2nd derivative term. Therefore the 3rd derivative term would be the leading truncated term. Is this correct?

1. What is truncation error and why is it important in scientific calculations?

Truncation error is the difference between the exact solution of a mathematical problem and the approximate solution obtained through numerical methods. It is important to consider because it can affect the accuracy and reliability of scientific calculations.

2. How is truncation error different from round-off error?

Truncation error occurs due to the use of approximation methods, while round-off error is caused by the limitations of computer hardware and software in representing and manipulating numbers. Truncation error can be reduced by using more precise methods, while round-off error can be minimized by using higher precision data types.

3. Can truncation error be completely eliminated?

No, truncation error cannot be completely eliminated as it is inherent in the use of numerical methods. However, it can be reduced by using more accurate and sophisticated methods, and by increasing the number of iterations or steps in the calculation.

4. How can one estimate the magnitude of truncation error in a calculation?

Truncation error can be estimated by comparing the results obtained through different approximation methods or by using mathematical analysis to determine the order of accuracy of a particular method. Additionally, the size of the step or interval used in the calculation can also affect the magnitude of truncation error.

5. Is truncation error always a negative or problematic factor in calculations?

No, truncation error can have both positive and negative effects in calculations. While it can lead to inaccuracies, it can also help to simplify complex problems and make them more computationally feasible. It is important for scientists to understand and manage truncation error to ensure the validity and reliability of their calculations.