Good physics books for mathematicians

In summary, a graduate student in mathematics is looking for recommendations on physics books that are suitable for someone without a strong physics background. They have found the Berkeley Physics Course, Vol. 2 to be too detailed and advanced books to rely on prior knowledge. Another person suggests checking out Landau and Lifgarbagez's multi-volume Course in Theoretical Physics, specifically vol. 2 and 8, which are sophisticated and enjoyable to read. Another recommendation is Dugdale's "Essentials of Electromagnetism", which starts from Maxwell's equations in traditional vector calculus form. Finally, there are also resources available with Maxwell's equations in modern notation.
Ronen
Hi everybody,

I am a graduate student in mathematics, and have hardly any physics background.
I was looking to broaden my knowledge in physics, and started by taking the Berkeley Physics Course, Vol. 2 ( Electricity and Magnetism).
On the one hand I find the book too detailed and long, and on the other hand more advanced books rely on prior knowledge I don't have.

Can anybody recommend an electricity and magnetism book that is "concentrated" but still doesn't rely on background in the topic?
If you know of books on other physics topics that are good for mathematicians like me, I would be happy to hear.

Thanks ahead!

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out vol. 2 (theory of fields) and 8 (electrodynamics of continuous media) in Landau and Lifgarbagez's multi-volume Course in Theoretical Physics. I don't know if each stands wholly its own, but they are sophisticated, fast moving and a joy to read.

I liked Dugdale's http://books.google.com/books/about/Essentials_of_electromagnetism.html?id=LIwBcIwrwv4C. It begins from Maxwell's equations in tradition vector calculus form.

Maxwell's equations in more modern notation can be found in
http://sophia.dtp.fmph.uniba.sk/~fecko/referaty/regensburg.pdf
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/research/gr/members/gibbons/gwgPartIII_DGeometry2011-1.pdf
http://webusers.physics.illinois.edu/~m-stone5/mmb/notes/bmaster.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between physics books for mathematicians and regular physics books?

Physics books for mathematicians tend to have a stronger emphasis on mathematical rigor and formalism, while regular physics books may focus more on conceptual understanding and practical applications.

2. Can you recommend a good introductory physics book for mathematicians?

One popular choice is "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas. It covers a wide range of topics in physics, from mechanics to electromagnetism, with a focus on mathematical foundations.

3. Are there any physics books for mathematicians that also include exercises and problem sets?

Yes, "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George B. Arfken and Hans J. Weber is a well-known textbook that includes numerous exercises and problems for readers to practice and apply their mathematical skills.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to understand physics books for mathematicians?

Yes, a solid foundation in advanced mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, is typically required to fully understand and appreciate physics books for mathematicians.

5. Can physics books for mathematicians be useful for non-mathematicians?

Yes, although these books are specifically written for those with a strong mathematical background, they can also be beneficial for non-mathematicians who are interested in delving deeper into the mathematical foundations of physics.