Yet another pressure/volume/temp question. (no fishes)

• Thread starter Mo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a fixed mass of gas being compressed and then expanded while keeping the pressure constant. The answer mentions Boyle's law and the calculation of pressure and temperature in terms of the initial values. The conversation also touches upon the difference between ideal and real gases and the use of absolute temperature in calculations. The final answer for the temperature is 1200K or 927C, assuming the gas is ideal.
Mo
Hello all, looking for some expert guidance again please! ill just get straight into it;

The Question
A fixed mass of gas has an initial volume v0 (v subscript 0) and an initial pressure p0 .It is first compressed at a constant temperature of 27C until its volume is reduced to [tex]1/4 [/tex]v0 State the pressure of the gas, in terms of p0, at the end of this process. The temperature of the gas is now increased until its volume returns to v0. Throughout this process, the gas is allowed to expand in such a way that its pressure remain constant.Calculate the final temperature, in C of the gas.

My answer (brace yourself!)

a) Boyle's law states that

[tex]p . v = c[/tex] So we can deduce that if the volume were to be reduced to a quarter of its original value, then the pressure will increase four-fold.

i.e 4p0 . [tex]1/4 v0[/tex] (4p0 multiplied by one quarter of v0)

b)For this part we know that the pressure = 4p . For the volume to return to its original value, it must be multiplied by 4. (and this is where i get it completely wrong .. well maybe a bit before this!) .so

27 + 273 = 300 K

300 X 4 = 1200.
1200 -273 = 927 C

Now that seems incredibly high to me.Im positive i have gone wrong somewhere.Please enlighten me!

Regards,
Mo

ps: Should i have converted the temperature to kelvins? if not then the answer would be 108 C. i could be using the wrong forumla even ..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mo said:
Hello all, looking for some expert guidance again please! ill just get straight into it;
The Question
A fixed mass of gas has an initial volume v0 (v subscript 0) and an initial pressure p0 .It is first compressed at a constant temperature of 27C until its volume is reduced to [tex]1/4 [/tex]v0 State the pressure of the gas, in terms of p0, at the end of this process. The temperature of the gas is now increased until its volume returns to v0. Throughout this process, the gas is allowed to expand in such a way that its pressure remain constant.Calculate the final temperature, in C of the gas.My answer (brace yourself!)a) Boyle's law states that[tex]p . v = c[/tex] So we can deduce that if the volume were to be reduced to a quarter of its original value, then the pressure will increase four-fold.i.e 4p0 . [tex]1/4 v0[/tex] (4p0 multiplied by one quarter of v0))For this part we know that the pressure = 4p . For the volume to return to its original value, it must be multiplied by 4. (and this is where i get it completely wrong .. well maybe a bit before this!) .so27 + 273 = 300 K300 X 4 = 1200.
1200 -273 = 927 CNow that seems incredibly high to me.Im positive i have gone wrong somewhere.Please enlighten me!Regards,
Mo
ps: Should i have converted the temperature to kelvins? if not then the answer would be 108 C. i could be using the wrong forumla even ..

If the gas is assumed to be ideal,note IDEAL,then it obeys certain simple laws.On of then states that,if a certain process is isobar,then:
[tex] (\frac{V}{T})_{1}=(\frac{V}{T})_{2} [/tex]
,which includes the ABSOLUTE TEMPERATURE,MEASURED IN KELVINS.
The tempertures will be 300K the first one,and 1200K the final one.
Again,this is an IDEAL gas,at 1200K,a REAL gas will be partly ionized,and the laws of physics will be different.

Daniel.

Thank you for your response.

I gather that this question is talking about ideal gases, since these are the question directly after that chapter.

In an exam situation how would i know though? Would they tell me, or could i say .. "assuming the gas is an ideal gas .." (i doubt they would give me anything that is not an ideal gas since i have not yet learned any formulas for REAL gases .. i don't think ..)

So .. my answers were correct. 1200K ? So in Celsius this is 927 C .

Thanks again for your reply.

Regards,
Mo

Mo said:
Thank you for your response.

You're welcome! :smile:

Mo said:
In an exam situation how would i know though? Would they tell me, or could i say .. "assuming the gas is an ideal gas .." (i doubt they would give me anything that is not an ideal gas since i have not yet learned any formulas for REAL gases .. i don't think ..)

If the problem does not specifically say:"ideal/real gas",then it would be smart to chose the simpler case and simply write on the paper:"Assuming the gas is ideal,then..." :tongue2:

Mo said:
So .. my answers were correct. 1200K ? So in Celsius this is 927 C.Thanks again for your reply.
Regards,
Mo

Yes.Again,u're welcome to post any problems u have.

Daniel.

1. What is the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature?

The relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature is described by the ideal gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the temperature of a gas at a constant number of moles. In other words, as one variable increases, the others will also increase in a proportional manner.

2. How does pressure change with volume and temperature?

As volume decreases, pressure will increase if temperature remains constant. This is due to the fact that as the volume of a gas decreases, its particles become more crowded and collide with the walls of the container more frequently, resulting in a higher pressure. Similarly, as temperature increases, pressure will also increase due to the increased kinetic energy of the gas particles.

3. What happens to the volume of a gas when pressure and temperature change?

If pressure and temperature change while the number of moles remains constant, the volume of the gas will also change. According to Boyle's Law, at a constant temperature, the volume of a gas is inversely proportional to the pressure applied to it. This means that as pressure increases, volume will decrease and vice versa. Additionally, according to Charles's Law, at a constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as temperature increases, volume will also increase and vice versa.

4. How does temperature affect pressure and volume?

Temperature has a direct effect on both pressure and volume of a gas. As temperature increases, the gas particles will have more kinetic energy and move faster, resulting in an increase in pressure and volume. In contrast, as temperature decreases, the gas particles will have less kinetic energy and move slower, resulting in a decrease in pressure and volume.

5. What are the units of pressure, volume, and temperature?

Pressure is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pascals (Pa), atmospheres (atm), or pounds per square inch (psi). Volume is typically measured in units of length cubed, such as cubic meters (m^3) or liters (L). Temperature is typically measured in units of degrees, such as degrees Celsius (°C) or Kelvin (K).