Unravelling Surface Area of a Dome

In summary, the conversation is about trying to find the formula for the surface area of a dome. The formula 2πrh is suggested and the person is trying to understand how the area changes as the slice through the sphere moves. They are advised to draw a picture and explain the geometry, and are asked for more information such as the definitions of "h" and "r" or a link to the source of the formula. The conversation ends with a comment about asking for help in a proper way.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Trying to figure out the answer to another thread.

What is formula for the surface area of a dome?

Googling got me [tex]2\pi r h[/tex] (where [tex]h[/tex] is the height of the dome above its slice through the sphere). Is that right?

Ultimately, I'm trying to figure out how the area changes as a function of the slice through the sphere. i.e.:

When the slice goes through the centre of the sphere, the area is X (in fact, exactly half of the sphere's area).

OK. Now, if I move the slice out to [tex]1/2 r[/tex], what does that do to the area of the dome? Does the area halve? or quarter?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I advise u draw a picture.Explain the geometry of the drawing.Which is the sphere,which is the paraboloid,is it a revolution paraboloid,are they coaxial,what is "h",what is "r",or simply give the link to the webpage where u got that result.

If you're asking for help,at least do it in a proper way.

Daniel.

Guess I didn't get the memo on "the proper way".

(Don't know why this gpt posted twice...)

1. What is the surface area of a dome?

The surface area of a dome can be calculated using the formula A = 2πr², where A is the surface area and r is the radius of the dome. This formula assumes that the dome is a perfect hemisphere.

2. How do you measure the surface area of a dome?

The surface area of a dome can be measured using various methods such as laser scanning, photogrammetry, or physical measurement. However, the most accurate way to measure the surface area is by using mathematical formulas and calculations.

3. How does the surface area of a dome affect its structural integrity?

The surface area of a dome plays a crucial role in its structural integrity. A larger surface area means that the dome is exposed to more external forces, such as wind and snow. This can put more stress on the dome's structure and may require additional support to ensure its stability.

4. Can the surface area of a dome be altered?

Yes, the surface area of a dome can be altered by changing its radius. A larger or smaller radius will result in a larger or smaller surface area, respectively. However, altering the surface area may also affect the dome's structural integrity and may require additional modifications.

5. How is the surface area of a dome used in engineering and architecture?

The surface area of a dome is an essential factor in engineering and architecture as it helps determine the materials and structural support needed for the dome. It is also used in cost estimation and construction planning to ensure the dome's stability and longevity.