How to Find Resistance from a Non-Linear I vs. V Graph?

In summary, to find the resistance from a graph of I vs. V, you can use the formula R = V/I for linear graphs. However, for curved graphs, you can sketch a tangent line at each point and use ΔV/ΔI to approximate the resistance. This method is recommended for beginners, but more advanced evaluations may require the use of calculus.
kgal
I have a I vs. V graph (I on x-axis, V on y-axis) and I need to figure out how to find the resistance from this.

I know that R = V/I when the graph is linear, but I have a curved graph...
I was thinking maybe to sketch a tangent line across each point that I need to figure out its resistance and find the resistance by using ΔV/ΔI.
Would that be correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
kgal said:
I have a I vs. V graph (I on x-axis, V on y-axis) and I need to figure out how to find the resistance from this.

I know that R = V/I when the graph is linear, but I have a curved graph...
I was thinking maybe to sketch a tangent line across each point that I need to figure out its resistance and find the resistance by using ΔV/ΔI.
Would that be correct?

Yup , that would be correct. If graph of V vs. I is curve then that means that the conductor is not following ohm's law. That conductor is non-ohmic conductor. Perhaps your method will not give you exact resistance AT THAT POINT but will give you nearest approximation. Yet it will be correct and recommended for beginners. Higher evaluation will involve calculus though.

Here R=dV/dI or R=ΔV/ΔI at any point.

http://postimage.org/image/hdqd9a4nl/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an I vs. V graph?

An I vs. V graph, or current vs. voltage graph, is a visual representation of the relationship between the current (I) and voltage (V) in a circuit. It is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of electrical components and circuits.

2. How is resistance shown on an I vs. V graph?

Resistance is shown as the slope of the I vs. V graph. The steeper the slope, the higher the resistance. This can also be calculated by dividing the change in voltage by the change in current.

3. What does a horizontal line on an I vs. V graph indicate?

A horizontal line on an I vs. V graph indicates that the resistance is zero, meaning the circuit has no resistance. This is typically seen in ideal conductors such as wires.

4. How do parallel and series circuits appear on an I vs. V graph?

In a parallel circuit, the current remains constant while the voltage changes for each branch. This is represented by parallel lines on an I vs. V graph. In a series circuit, the voltage remains constant while the current changes for each component. This is represented by a series of points on an I vs. V graph.

5. How can an I vs. V graph be used to calculate the resistance of a component?

The resistance of a component can be calculated by finding the slope of the I vs. V graph. This can be done by dividing the change in voltage by the change in current. The unit for resistance is ohms (Ω).