Why Does a Tic-Tac Bounce Higher on the Third Attempt?

In summary, the conversation discussed a phenomenon where a tic-tac would bounce higher on its third bounce compared to the second bounce. The participants discussed possible explanations, including energy conservation and rotational kinetic energy. They also suggested conducting more experiments and potentially publishing the findings. There was also a mention of the coefficient of restitution for a tic-tac, but it was deemed difficult to measure due to uncontrollable variables. The conversation concluded with the observation that the phenomenon occurred more frequently when the tic-tac was dropped at a certain angle.
AlchemistK
Ok, just a few minutes back, a tic-tac slipped from my hand and fell to the ground.

The second bounce was to a lower height than the first (which is expected because e*<1) but then as it took the third bounce, it rose to a height higher than the one reached by it than in the second bounce.

I had observed this phenomenon before in pebbles, but today I sat down and started thinking about it, I came up with the following result :

I noticed (after dropping the tic-tac about a hundred times) that the height of a bounce is higher than the one preceding it only in one particular case : when the tic-tac hits one end on the floor first and then hits the floor a second time before bouncing back.

To make sense of this, I followed energy conservation.
The tic-tac originally has a potential energy of mgh and when it bounces back to a new height, it has no transnational kinetic energy, some potential energy and most importantly: Rotational kinetic energy.
Now to make the tic-tac reach a max height, the rotational kinetic energy would have to be minimum.
So what actually happens is that when a tic-tac hits the floor a second time in the same cycle, it gets a torque in the opposite direction to what it got in the first hit in the same cycle, hence reducing the rotational and by conservation of energy, making it reach to a higher height.

That's what I came up with, is it even remotely correct to what is actually going on? Any other thoughts?*e = coefficient of restitution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi AlchemistK! :smile:
AlchemistK said:
… So what actually happens is that when a tic-tac hits the floor a second time in the same cycle, it gets a torque in the opposite direction to what it got in the first hit in the same cycle, hence reducing the rotational and by conservation of energy, making it reach to a higher height.

Wow, that's amazing … I didn't know you could do that with tic-tacs! :biggrin:

Yes, that seems a correct analysis.

I wonder whether there's a similar manouevre in gymnastics?

I think you should do a few more experiments, and then publish!

eg, what's the coefficient of restitution for a tic-tac? :wink:

I have a counter reasoning too though, since the tic-tac hits for a second time, it looses more energy as heat and sound.
tiny-tim said:
what's the coefficient of restitution for a tic-tac? :wink:

How do I do that? With all the various uncontrollable variables like friction, angle of drop, and other things, it seems impossible.And also, I noticed that the phenomenon occurs more when the tic-tac is dropped at a certain angle, further supporting that the reasoning is correct because the tic tac would only hit twice if dropped at a certain angle.

1. What is the concept of Falling Tic-Tac dynamics?

The concept of Falling Tic-Tac dynamics is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a falling object with a particular shape, such as a Tic-Tac candy. It takes into account factors such as gravity, air resistance, and the object's shape to predict its trajectory and speed.

2. How is the motion of a falling Tic-Tac different from a regular object?

The motion of a falling Tic-Tac is different from a regular object because of its unique shape. The flat and rectangular shape of a Tic-Tac creates more air resistance compared to a spherical or cylindrical object, resulting in a slower and more erratic descent.

3. What are some real-life applications of Falling Tic-Tac dynamics?

Falling Tic-Tac dynamics can be applied in various fields such as engineering, sports, and entertainment. It can be used to design efficient parachutes, improve the aerodynamics of vehicles, and even create special effects in movies.

4. Can Falling Tic-Tac dynamics be used to predict the motion of other objects?

Yes, Falling Tic-Tac dynamics can be applied to predict the motion of other objects with unique shapes and properties. However, the model may need to be modified or adjusted to account for any variations in the shape or size of the object.

5. How accurate is the Falling Tic-Tac dynamics model?

The accuracy of the Falling Tic-Tac dynamics model depends on various factors such as the accuracy of the initial conditions, air resistance, and the object's shape. In general, it can provide a reasonable approximation of the object's motion, but it may not be entirely accurate in real-life situations due to other external factors.