Physics Undergrad to P Chem Gradute/Career?

In summary, this person has been doing a lot of soul searching and is considering a career change to become a physical chemist. They are interested in learning more about the field and want to hear from others.
BrainFloss
Hi everyone,

I've been doing a lot of soul searching over the past year. I am an undergrad who recently became an applied physics major, with a chem and math minor. I am probably going to turn the math minor into a double major.

Anyhoo, with that brief intro, I was wondering if there was anyone here, or if anyone knew anybody who started out as a physics undergrad and went on to do physical chemistry in graduate school or as a career. I love, love, love chemistry so p chem seems attractive to me. I also thought maybe my chem and math backgrounds would make me more qualified to go into a p chem program eventually. Thoughts?

Thank you. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Presuming that your chem minor has had you take the typical organic chemistry and physical chemistry sequence, then yes, you should be minimally qualified for admission to a chemistry graduate program.

Also, this seems to be something I mention on here semi-regularly - there are also distinct chemical physics graduate programs out there that you might want to investigate. Typically, they are distinguished from the straight chemistry graduate programs by mandating certain physics courses (usually in classical mechanics and electrodynamics) and formally permitting you to conduct your dissertation research with faculty in both physics and chemistry departments.

My minor has had me take a full year of organic chemistry but no p chem. I thought about taking p chem and getting it substituted into my physics degree because at my school we have to take some really silly classes in the physics program-like a crosslisted physics/English class where I have already read most of the books from anyways. Quantum Mechanics is also almost never offered at my school as well so taking p chem might help me there, too. I am young and have just started the program so I have a while to think about these things of course. This fall I am contemplating taking a p chem research course that involves nanotech and robots. I know this isn't a substitute for a full year of p chem but I thought it would still look good and it looks like a lot of fun regardless.

Thank you so much for telling me about chemical physics. I never thought of the reverse before. I am checking it out now. That really helped. :) I feel like chemistry comes naturally to me so I would love to be involved in any type of chemistry.

There's actually many professors of chemistry in physical chemistry that did their BS's in physics. So you can do it for sure. There's a lot of stuff in physical chemistry that requires a full physics background to fully understand.

Thanks for all the helpful advice, everyone. :)

1. What are the main differences between studying physics as an undergraduate and pursuing a career in physical chemistry?

The main difference is the focus of the subject matter. Physics tends to concentrate on the fundamental principles of matter and energy, while physical chemistry combines principles from both physics and chemistry to study the physical properties and behavior of molecules and atoms. Additionally, physical chemistry often involves more hands-on laboratory work and a stronger emphasis on mathematical modeling and data analysis.

2. Is a physics undergraduate degree sufficient for admission into a physical chemistry graduate program?

While a physics undergraduate degree can provide a strong foundation for physical chemistry, most graduate programs will also require coursework in chemistry, biology, and other related fields. It is important to carefully review the specific requirements of the graduate program you are interested in to ensure you have the necessary background.

3. What are some common career paths for someone with a physics undergraduate degree and a physical chemistry graduate degree?

Some common career paths include research positions in industry or academia, teaching at the college or university level, and working in government or private research institutions. Physical chemistry graduates may also find opportunities in fields such as materials science, pharmaceuticals, or environmental science.

4. How important is having a strong background in math for pursuing a physical chemistry career?

Math is a crucial component of physical chemistry, as it is used to model and understand the behavior of molecules and atoms. A strong foundation in calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra is typically necessary for success in physical chemistry graduate programs and careers.

5. What advice do you have for someone considering pursuing a graduate degree in physical chemistry after studying physics as an undergraduate?

My advice would be to take advantage of any opportunities to gain experience in chemistry and physical chemistry through coursework, internships, or research projects. It can also be helpful to connect with professionals in the field and seek their advice and guidance. Additionally, be prepared to work hard and be open to learning new concepts and approaches in order to succeed in a physical chemistry graduate program.