Fugacity, from the virial equation of state

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the fugacity from the virial equation of state, where B is a constant. The attempted solution is to omit the derivation of fugacity and solve for V instead. However, this doesn't work because the V-based virial EOS I was working with cannot be solved explicitly for V. After realizing this, the student is now trying to derive fugacity in terms of dV.
2h2o

Homework Statement

Find the fugacity from the virial equation of state, where B is a constant.

Homework Equations

[itex]

Z=\frac{PV}{RT}=1+\frac{B}{V}

[/itex]

Don't know how to do underbars in TeX, but the V terms are on a per-mol basis. B is a constant and no further expansions of the EOS are needed. We'll be calculating this at some constant temperature T and at a discrete pressure P.

The Attempt at a Solution

Omitting the derivation of fugacity,

[itex]

f=P*exp(\frac{1}{RT}\int^{0}_{P}{V-\frac{RT}{P}dp})

[/itex]

But solving the VEOS explicitly for V, to substitute into fugacity, isn't going to work. Solving for P doesn't seem like it would be helpful. I'm presently trying to figure out how to do this with an iterative method, but the integral is throwing me off.

Any insights?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok. Going further. Gave up on iterative solutions. Now trying to derive fugacity now in terms of dV.

## f = P*exp[ (G - G^*) / (RT) ] ##and recognizing ##(G - G^*)## as a departure function:

$$(G - G^*) = [H - H^*] - T[S - S^*]$$

##H^* = 0, Sd = - (BR) / (PV)## (using the virial EOS)

and get to the point:

##f = P*exp[ [ H / (RT) - T * ( -BR / ( PV) ) ]##

substituting ##1/Z = (RT / (PV),## simplifies to

##f = P*exp[ H / (RT) + B/Z] ##

But I know nothing of V, which was the whole point of confusion earlier and the reason for trying this route. I must have made a conceptual mistake somewhere but I'm not seeing it.

Last edited:
2h2o said:

Homework Statement

Find the fugacity from the virial equation of state, where B is a constant.

Homework Equations

[itex]

Z=\frac{PV}{RT}=1+\frac{B}{V}

[/itex]

Don't know how to do underbars in TeX, but the V terms are on a per-mol basis. B is a constant and no further expansions of the EOS are needed. We'll be calculating this at some constant temperature T and at a discrete pressure P.

The Attempt at a Solution

Omitting the derivation of fugacity,

[itex]

f=P*exp(\frac{1}{RT}\int^{0}_{P}{V-\frac{RT}{P}dp})

[/itex]

But solving the VEOS explicitly for V, to substitute into fugacity, isn't going to work. Solving for P doesn't seem like it would be helpful. I'm presently trying to figure out how to do this with an iterative method, but the integral is throwing me off.

Any insights?

Thanks!

Either of the two methods you mentioned above ought to work. Why don't they? Is it that the integration is difficult analytically? That's not really a reason.

Chestermiller said:
Either of the two methods you mentioned above ought to work. Why don't they? Is it that the integration is difficult analytically? That's not really a reason.

No, the integral itself isn't the problem. My problem was the V term inside the integral, which comes from the virial equation of state (not the ideal EOS). The V-based virial EOS I was working cannot be solved explicitly for V and therefore cannot be meaningfully substituted into the integral.

Which leads me to what the problem was: my choice of the virial EOS. I hadn't remembered that there is a pressure-based virial EOS. (Z = 1 + B'P) where B' = B/(RT) Using that EOS makes this a trivial calculation.

2h2o said:
No, the integral itself isn't the problem. My problem was the V term inside the integral, which comes from the virial equation of state (not the ideal EOS). The V-based virial EOS I was working cannot be solved explicitly for V and therefore cannot be meaningfully substituted into the integral.

Which leads me to what the problem was: my choice of the virial EOS. I hadn't remembered that there is a pressure-based virial EOS. (Z = 1 + B'P) where B' = B/(RT) Using that EOS makes this a trivial calculation.

Who says it can't be solved explicitly for V? Just multiply both sides of the equation by V, and then solve the resulting quadratic equation.

Chestermiller said:
Who says it can't be solved explicitly for V? Just multiply both sides of the equation by V, and then solve the resulting quadratic equation.

I said it can't be solved explicitly, that's who. I am also an idiot for not seeing that even when it is, retrospectively, so obvious. So thank you for pointing that out. No wonder I was running in circles.

Cheers!

1. What is fugacity?

Fugacity is a measure of the escaping tendency of a substance from a system. It takes into account the non-ideal behavior of gases and is often used instead of pressure to describe the thermodynamic state of a substance.

2. How is fugacity related to the virial equation of state?

The virial equation of state is an equation that relates pressure to temperature, volume, and the number of moles of a gas. Fugacity is incorporated into this equation to account for the non-ideal behavior of gases and to provide a more accurate description of the thermodynamic state of a substance.

3. What is the difference between fugacity and pressure?

While pressure is a measure of the force exerted by a gas on the walls of its container, fugacity takes into account the escaping tendency of a substance from a system. This means that fugacity is a more accurate measure of the actual thermodynamic state of a substance, especially at high pressures or when dealing with non-ideal gases.

4. How is fugacity calculated?

Fugacity can be calculated using the virial equation of state, as well as other equations such as the van der Waals equation or the Redlich-Kwong equation. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the vapor pressure of a substance at different temperatures and using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation.

5. Why is fugacity important in thermodynamics?

Fugacity is important in thermodynamics because it allows for a more accurate description of the behavior of non-ideal gases and substances. It also plays a crucial role in phase equilibria and the prediction of vapor-liquid equilibria. Additionally, fugacity can be used to calculate thermodynamic properties such as enthalpy, entropy, and Gibbs free energy.