Maximum magnetic force on a wire in a magnetic field

In summary, the maximum magnetic force on a wire of length L placed in a magnetic field B, with a current I running through it, can be calculated using the equation F=BIl. This equation takes into account the flux density, magnetic field, and length of the wire.
pratyushag

Homework Statement

A wire of length L is placed in a magnetic field B,If the current in the wire is I,then maximum magnetic force on the wire is?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly,I have no idea how to do this..(Im in class 9)

Physics news on Phys.org
You should have an equation that gives the magnetic force on a wire of some length with some current running through it.

what is the equation?

it should look something like F = BIL

do you recognize it?

Im sorry I am coming across this the first time... could u explain it please

pratyushag said:
Im sorry I am coming across this the first time... could u explain it please

You say you are in class 9, i doubt it that i was taught this when i was in class 9. Are you taking any tuition or something to learn this extra stuff?

And about the question, you should first refer some book to learn about the force on a current carrying wire in a magnetic field.

If this is a homework problem for school, then you certainly must have been shown this equation before. If it's not a homework problem, then I suggest doing what Pranav-Arora said and going and looking it up.

Yes i am in class 9, and yes i have been taking special tuition...

I have completed the class 9 syllabus of science and have completed class 10(physics&maths).
I know all about Oersted,Flemings right hand,left hand,electromagnetic induction
Moreover i have started training for the Indian National Physics Olympiad (INPhO) and Regional Mathematical Olympiad.

I encountered this problem in one of the sample papers of an IIT-JEE instituiton
hence i was asking about it,and i have never seen or taught this equation ever,i tried looking up the net but found gibberish...
So could you please explain or provide a suitable link?

pratyushag said:
Yes i am in class 9, and yes i have been taking special tuition...

I have completed the class 9 syllabus of science and have completed class 10(physics&maths).
I know all about Oersted,Flemings right hand,left hand,electromagnetic induction
Moreover i have started training for the Indian National Physics Olympiad (INPhO) and Regional Mathematical Olympiad.

I encountered this problem in one of the sample papers of an IIT-JEE instituiton
hence i was asking about it,and i have never seen or taught this equation ever,i tried looking up the net but found gibberish...
So could you please explain or provide a suitable link?

Instead of completing everything in rush and directly trying to reach the JEE paper, better first complete your textbooks, i remember, there's a lot of stuff in them. Buy a good book rather than dwelling on net for the information. :smile:

Last edited:
pratyushag said:

Homework Statement

A wire of length L is placed in a magnetic field B,If the current in the wire is I,then maximum magnetic force on the wire is?

Honestly,I have no idea how to do this..(Im in class 9)

Force on a (current carrying conductor) this is the wire in your case, lying at right angle to a magnetic field can be given as:

F=BIl
B=flux density, magnetic field in your case
I= current
l=length of the wire

1. What is maximum magnetic force?

Maximum magnetic force is the maximum amount of force that can be exerted by a magnet on a magnetic material. It is dependent on the strength of the magnet and the distance between the magnet and the magnetic material.

2. How is maximum magnetic force calculated?

Maximum magnetic force can be calculated using the equation F = BIL, where F is the force in Newtons, B is the magnetic field strength in Tesla, I is the current in Amperes, and L is the length of the conductor in meters.

3. What factors affect maximum magnetic force?

The strength of the magnet, the distance between the magnet and the magnetic material, and the current flowing through the conductor are all factors that affect maximum magnetic force. Additionally, the size and shape of the magnet can also have an impact on the force.

4. How does maximum magnetic force impact magnetic materials?

Maximum magnetic force can cause magnetic materials to move, attract or repel each other, or change their shape. It is also a key factor in determining the strength and effectiveness of magnetic devices, such as motors and generators.

5. How can maximum magnetic force be increased?

Maximum magnetic force can be increased by using a stronger magnet, decreasing the distance between the magnet and the magnetic material, or increasing the current flowing through the conductor. Additionally, using a magnet with a larger surface area can also increase the force.