Differential equation selection and linear transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining what differential equation to use for a non-linear process in applied mathematics. The speaker is interested in understanding how to identify if experimental data is linear or non-linear and how to transform a non-linear process into a linear one. They also mention the role of the number of variables and what constraints must be met to make a non-linear process linear. The conversation also touches on the distinction between data analysis and modeling and the various methods for transforming a non-linear equation into a linear one. However, the speaker's question is deemed broad and vague, so further clarification is needed for a more specific answer.
JaredPM
This may be vague, so I apologize.

I am interested in applied mathematics, so my question is about the process a scientist or engineer uses to determine what differential equation to use for a non-linear process. I am not familiar enough with describing non-linear processes to be able to give you an example, but from what I hear, nonlinear processes are everywhere around us. I have also read that a linear process's inputs are proportional to their outputs, and that they follow the superposition rule.

So, If I were to collect some experimental values on something like testing the height of a wave produced by different sized boats, I could develop a graph of height vs boat hull size. How would I determine if the data collected were linear or nonlinear? If nonlinear, regardless of the differential equation used, how would I transform this into a linear set of equations. So, my question is what constraints have to be met to make a nonlinear process linear? And what effect, does the number of variables play in this analysis?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you should make a distinction between data analysis and modeling. If you have a set of data points like wave height vs boat hull size, you can plot it and try to find a function, linear or otherwise, that fits your data. This already gives you some idea about the complexity of the problem, but doesn't really give you a lot of physical insight.

When you know more about the physical process governing the data, you can construct the differential equation. Some physical processes are linear (take a look at the wiki page for derivation of the wave equation), and some are nonlinear (like navier stokes), but even solutions of simple linear equations do not look linear. dy/dt=y for instance has y=A*exp(x) as a solution. The solution is nonlinear, but the equation is.

When you end up with a nonlinear equation, you might be able to transform it to a linear equation and there are several ways of doing it. Most of these methods are connected somehow, but Cartan's equivalence method is one of them, as well as symmetry mappings. I'm not sure if this is what you're after..

Anyway, I don't really know what you're really after because as you said yourself, your question is rather broad/vague. If you are more specific, we can be too.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena and can be solved to find the behavior of the system over time.

2. How are differential equations selected?

The selection of a differential equation depends on the specific problem being studied. It involves analyzing the physical system and determining the relevant variables, parameters, and relationships between them. The chosen equation should accurately represent the behavior of the system.

3. What is the role of linear transformations in differential equations?

Linear transformations are mathematical operations that can be applied to a differential equation to simplify it or transform it into a more manageable form. They can also be used to find solutions to the differential equation.

4. How do differential equations and linear transformations relate to each other?

Differential equations and linear transformations are closely related, as linear transformations can be used to solve or simplify differential equations. In some cases, a differential equation can be transformed into a linear one, making it easier to solve.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equation selection and linear transformations?

Differential equations and linear transformations have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model the behavior of systems such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits, and to make predictions and solve problems in these areas.