Bullying in Classroom: Impact on Bystanders' Grades

• Thread starter lockecole
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, bullying can have a negative impact on bystanders, causing them to feel stressed and potentially affecting their academic performance. This was discussed in an article in TIME magazine, which highlights the emotional toll that witnessing bullying can have on students. This can ultimately create an unfavorable learning environment in high school.
lockecole
Would bystanders get better grades if bullying did not happen in the classroom any longer? Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you say bystanders, do you mean victims?

You should read that article in TIME on bullying. I believe it's in this week's edition. (The cover features TIME 100 People.)

Here's the link:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1047497,00.html

Last edited:
hitssquad said:
When you say bystanders, do you mean victims?

I'm pretty sure he meant this:

...kids are frequently as distressed by witnessing bullying as by being bullied.

We've all been through high school, right? I do remember feeling rather tense after seeing others being bullied. Naturally, I've also been a victim of it myself. Having others being bullied won't directly cause students to fail all their classes, but it does add to the already stressful and difficult situation that is high school, and that isn't a very good environement for learning.

1. What is considered bullying in the classroom?

Bullying in the classroom is any repeated, intentional behavior that causes harm or distress to another individual. This can include physical, verbal, or emotional abuse, as well as social exclusion and cyberbullying.

2. How does bullying in the classroom affect bystanders' grades?

Bullying in the classroom can have a negative impact on bystanders' grades due to the stress and distraction it causes. Bystanders may also experience feelings of guilt, fear, and helplessness, which can affect their academic performance.

3. Are bystanders more likely to have lower grades if they witness bullying?

Research has shown that bystanders who witness bullying are more likely to have lower grades compared to those who do not. This is due to the emotional and psychological toll that bullying can have on bystanders.

4. How can teachers address bullying in the classroom?

Teachers can address bullying in the classroom by creating a positive and inclusive classroom environment, educating students about the negative effects of bullying, and implementing clear consequences for bullying behavior.

5. What can be done to support bystanders who witness bullying?

Some ways to support bystanders who witness bullying include providing them with resources and support, such as counseling services and peer support groups. Teachers can also encourage bystanders to speak up and report bullying incidents, and provide them with strategies to intervene safely.