What are the main macroeconomic theories and where can they be found?

• Thread starter Soaring Crane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theories
In summary, the conversation is discussing the three economic theories of Keynesian, Monetarist, and Rational Expectations, and the differences between them in relation to the concept of aggregate supply. The person is seeking comprehensive websites that compare and contrast the theories and their views on aggregate supply. They also mention a forum and previous knowledge from a macroeconomics class. The conversation concludes with a question about whether all three theories agree on the importance of having a clear and consistent economic policy.
Soaring Crane
Does anyone know of any comprehesive sites featuring ALL of the following: the Keynesian theory, Monetarist theory, and the Rational Expectations theory?

Any ones that compare/contrast them would be excellent.

Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having a bit of trouble classifying the following under the three theories:

1. Aggregate supply is more vertical.
2. Aggregate supply is more horizontal.
3. The aggregate supply curve is always vertical.

I know 2 is Keynesian; it's the "vertical" ones I'm stumped on. Is the aggregate supply curve ALWAYS vertical for Monetarist theory? And I don't quite understand the difference between this and Rational Expections. Is there a difference between "aggregate supply curve" and "aggregate supply?"

You may want to look at this website.

http://www.tutor2u.net/economics/content/topics/ad_as/aggregate_supply.htm
http://www.tutor2u.net/revision_notes_economics.asp
and they have a forum that might answer your question
http://www.tutor2u.net/forum/default.asp

I took a macroeconomics class a few years ago. My memories my be playing tricks on me. So as far as I remember aggregate supply and aggregate suply curve are different. Also remember what keynesian, monetarist and rational expectations theory states. It is three different view of the world and what influence the economy.

Also, I remember the aggregate supply curve is always vertical in the long run and this is usually the classical view (monestarist?).

Last edited by a moderator:
Do all three of the theories agree that it is essential to have a clear, consistent economic policy?

Yes as far as I remember, or at least more than the laisser-faire approahc of classical and neo-classical theory. However, each theory have argue different approach controlliing economy so the policies will be different.

http://www.bized.ac.uk/virtual/economy/library/theory/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between Keynesian and Classical macroeconomic theories?

Keynesian theory focuses on the role of government intervention in the economy to achieve full employment and stabilize economic fluctuations. Classical theory, on the other hand, emphasizes the importance of free markets and minimal government intervention in achieving economic equilibrium.

2. How do supply-side and demand-side policies differ in macroeconomic theories?

Supply-side policies aim to increase the productive capacity of the economy by stimulating investment and reducing barriers to production. Demand-side policies, on the other hand, focus on increasing consumer spending and aggregate demand to stimulate economic growth.

3. What is the role of money in macroeconomic theories?

In macroeconomic theories, money is considered as a medium of exchange, a store of value, and a unit of account. It also plays a crucial role in influencing economic growth, inflation, and interest rates.

4. How do monetarist and new classical theories differ from each other?

Monetarist theories focus on the role of money supply and its effects on inflation and economic growth. New classical theories, on the other hand, emphasize the importance of rational expectations and the self-correcting nature of the economy.

5. What is the role of expectations in macroeconomic theories?

Expectations play a significant role in macroeconomic theories as they influence consumer behavior, investment decisions, and overall economic outcomes. Rational expectations, formed based on past experiences, can impact future economic trends and policy effectiveness.