Calculus for Physicists: Best Textbooks for Real-World Applications

In summary, there are several recommended books for learning calculus in a way that is specifically applicable to applications in physics. These include "Calculus" by Morris Kline, "An Introduction to Mechanics" by Kleppner/Kolenkow, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus Thompson, and "Calculus" by Richard Courant. However, it is noted that Spivak's book is more geared towards math majors and may not be the best choice for those interested in physics. Additionally, there are free books available online that may be worth checking out, such as those by Benjamin Cromwell and at the website e-booksdirectory.com. It is also mentioned that "Calculus
daniel0
Can anyone recommend a good book that teaches calculus (particularly integral calculus) in a way that is specifically applicable to applications in physics? I'm looking for something to help me review and solidify the calculus I have already learned but I get lost in all of the formalism that dominates most texts and is of no use to my current pursuit. For example, something that would help me develop an intuition for how to setup integrals based on real physical situations. I want something that helps me understand what the math means in physical terms rather than formal proofs and abstract concepts. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you. Sorry about the wrong forum/potentially redundant topic. I've been navigating the site on a sluggish tablet so I haven't yet had a chance to properly familiarize myself.

daniel0 said:
For example, something that would help me develop an intuition for how to setup integrals based on real physical situations. I want something that helps me understand what the math means in physical terms rather than formal proofs and abstract concepts. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Just solve many physics problems that require calculus. Maybe An Introduction to Mechanics by Kleppner/Kolenkow.

I hear the book Calculus by Michael Spivak is great for this purpose!

You might want to check out free books; for example at:
http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/listing.php?category=469
Note that one of these is by Benjamin Cromwell who is a physicist that is very active here on physics forums; I suspect his book is geared the right way for you. If not then poke around that site and there might be one that suits you.

jason

"Calculus" by Adams. It may not be tailored to physics directly, but is an awesome tool for quickly learning the math you need to understand physics.

calculus made easy? by silvanus thompson.

Spivak's Calculus is a horrible choice for anyone interested in physics. It is written for math majors & it should really be considered an introductory analysis book. He has even written that he would consider giving it a different title if he were to do it again.
Ricard Currant's calculus book is one of the very few calculus books recommended for college libraries by the Mathematical Association of America.

http://www.maa.org/publications/maa-reviews/basic-library-list

In addition to being a wonderful math book it has several sections devoted to physics.

JPK

JPKelly6 said:
Spivak's Calculus is a horrible choice for anyone interested in physics.

That poster was just taking a piss by recommending Spivak. Though someone should have said something at the time.

1. What is the purpose of learning calculus for physicists?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with change and motion. In physics, calculus is used to study and describe the movement of objects, changes in temperature and pressure, and other real-world phenomena. It is an essential tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems.

2. What makes a textbook on calculus suitable for real-world applications in physics?

A good calculus textbook for physicists should not only cover the basic principles and theories of calculus, but also provide real-world examples and applications. It should focus on the practical use of calculus in physics, rather than just theoretical concepts. Additionally, the textbook should be well-structured and easy to follow, with clear explanations and illustrations.

3. What are some recommended textbooks for learning calculus for physicists?

Some popular and highly recommended textbooks for learning calculus for physicists include "Calculus for Scientists and Engineers" by William L. Briggs and Lyle Cochran, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, and "Calculus for Physics" by Robert G. Brown. These textbooks are widely used in universities and are known for their practical approach and comprehensive coverage of the subject.

4. Are there any online resources available for learning calculus for physicists?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning calculus for physicists. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Coursera, and edX, which offer free online courses and tutorials on calculus and its applications in physics. Additionally, there are several YouTube channels and websites that provide video lectures and practice problems on calculus for physicists.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to learn calculus for physicists?

While a strong mathematical background can certainly be helpful, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge of advanced mathematics to learn calculus for physicists. However, a basic understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and geometry is essential. With a willingness to learn and practice, anyone can grasp the concepts of calculus and apply them to real-world problems in physics.