Electric Circuit Analysis Textbook

In summary, JasonHambley's book " resistor circuits " is a good resource for resistor-based circuits.
Avatrin
Hi

I need a good book for circuit analysis (preferably, it should be available on my cell phone via, for instance, Kindle or Aldiko.. Or PDF). My curriculum includes AC and DC circuits with:

Resistors
Capacitors
Inductors
BJTs
Diodes
FETs (JFET and MOSFET)
Opamps

I have to be able to find thevenin equivalents of FETs and BJTs. Frequency filters and frequency response of circuits is an important part of the curriculum.

Physics news on Phys.org
I second the Sedra and Smith recommendation. Older editions are fine (and cheap!).

Well, I have to resurrect this thread...

I have been trying to get through "Microelectronic Circuits" by Sedra and Smith. The issue is that it assumes that I already know a lot of circuit analysis. While I do know some, it is definitely not enough. So, my question is:

What is a good book to get all the prerequisites for "Microelectronic Circuits"?

A respected text (AFAIK) is the LOCCADESK LANC:

Leon O. Chua, Charles A. Desoer, Ernst S. Kuh
"Linear and Nonlinear Circuits".
But it you had problems with Sedra and Smith, you might find this one a bit too 'academic' (and unbelievably pricey!).
You might be better off with a more down to Earth approach for beginners, like Sadiku's book

Charles A. Alexander, Matthew N. O. Sadiku
"Fundamentals of Electric Circuits"​

Now in its fifth edition, you can find older editions at a very convenient price.
(I haven't read it thoroughly though, just skimmed through the pages - my ref is Loccadesk LANC - so take this advice with a pinch of salt)

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
I'm sorry that I steered you to the wrong place. Since you needed to know equivalent circuits for transistors I was assuming you already had an intro circuits course under your belt - poor assumption!

Regarding the books mentioned by SredniVashtar: I took a class for which "linear and nonlinear circuits" book by Chua, Desoer and Kuh was the optional text. It is way to advanced for this purpose. Any of the standard electrical circuits books would likely be fine - if you have a library look there. I am not familiar with almost any of them.

jason

Likes 1 person
Hambley spends way too much time on resistive circuits but covers all of those topics you wish to know about.

Likes 1 person

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a path or network of conductors, such as wires, through which electric current can flow. It typically consists of a power source, such as a battery or generator, and various components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, that control and manipulate the flow of electricity.

2. Why is understanding electric circuit analysis important?

Electric circuit analysis is essential for designing and troubleshooting electrical systems, from small electronic devices to large-scale power grids. It allows us to predict and control the behavior of electricity, ensuring the safe and efficient use of electrical energy.

3. What topics are typically covered in an electric circuit analysis textbook?

An electric circuit analysis textbook typically covers topics such as basic circuit laws and principles, circuit analysis techniques, circuit theorems, and the behavior of electrical components. It may also cover more advanced topics, such as transient and steady-state analysis, frequency response, and the use of circuit simulation software.

4. How is an electric circuit analysis textbook different from other electrical engineering textbooks?

An electric circuit analysis textbook focuses specifically on the analysis of electric circuits, while other electrical engineering textbooks may cover a broader range of topics, including electronics, electromagnetics, and power systems. Electric circuit analysis textbooks also tend to have a more mathematical and theoretical approach than other textbooks.

5. What makes a good electric circuit analysis textbook?

A good electric circuit analysis textbook should have a clear and logical organization, with a balance between theory and practical application. It should also include plenty of examples and problems for students to practice, as well as clear and concise explanations of key concepts. Additionally, a good textbook should be up-to-date with current technology and research in the field of electric circuit analysis.