A *great* general chemistry book for self study -

In summary, a great general chemistry book for self-study should cover all the essential topics in a clear and concise manner. It should include comprehensive explanations, practice problems, and helpful visuals to aid in understanding complex concepts. Additionally, the book should have a user-friendly layout and organization, making it easy to navigate and review. Examples and real-world applications should also be incorporated to make the material more relatable and applicable. A strong emphasis on fundamental principles and problem-solving techniques should also be present to ensure a solid foundation in chemistry.
christian0710
In this post i want to discuss good chemistry textbooks vs. bad chemistry textbooks and I'd like some help finding a good General chemistry textbook for university - Undergraduate level.
What Is a good introductory chemistry textbook?

So i finally found a book in organic chemistry which actually explains a subject like no other book I've ever read - The book is called Organic chemisty by David R Klein. If i could find a book in general chemistry that succeeds in explaining subjects such as orbital theory, kinetics, bonding etc. in equal detail (no cutting corners) i'd be really happy!

What makes a textbook bad in my opinion?
  • Lack of visual explanation - fx. explaining orbital theory with a limit amount of images of orbitals and how they overlap.
  • Lack of clearly demonstrated examples - A definition can first really be grasped when you get your hands dirty or see A LOT of examples clearly demonstrating what is being spoken about and what is NOT being spoken about.
  • Lack of Depth: Explaining subjects or theories without showing in depth how the theory is derived, through math, reasoning and a visual demonstration of the experimental setup. Just learning an equation/calculus is easy but understanding clearly how the equation is derived - the reasoning, the assumptions made when discovering the equation - is essential to understanding the subject.
  • Too much nonsense text: In some textbooks pages could be boiled down to a few sentences and still demonstrate a subject clearly.

What Makes a textbook great, and where can I find such a book in general Chemistry?
(undergraduate level)?
  • All the opposites of the negatives.
  • Great visual explanation - Images demonstration what is being spoken about.
  • Depth: Deriving equations, showing and explaining the experimental setup, the reasoning, the logic so you understand how the equation came into existence and in which situations it's relevant. This is much better than an oversimplified view with no actual logical argument/math involved.
  • Short but concise and with ample amount of examples, for the reader to understand the point.
I'd really like to find general chemistry book for self-study (perhaps with a solution manual for self check) which close to meets theese requirements.

So my question is: IS there such a general chemistry book? Or would i have to buy several books? What books would you recommend?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello. At the time was very helpful this book: http://booksbw.com/index.php?id1=4&category=chemistry&author=vogel-ai&book=19741234

christian0710 said:
In this post i want to discuss good chemistry textbooks vs. bad chemistry textbooks and I'd like some help finding a good General chemistry textbook for university - Undergraduate level.
What Is a good introductory chemistry textbook?

So i finally found a book in organic chemistry which actually explains a subject like no other book I've ever read - The book is called Organic chemisty by David R Klein. If i could find a book in general chemistry that succeeds in explaining subjects such as orbital theory, kinetics, bonding etc. in equal detail (no cutting corners) i'd be really happy!

What makes a textbook bad in my opinion?
  • Lack of visual explanation - fx. explaining orbital theory with a limit amount of images of orbitals and how they overlap.
  • Lack of clearly demonstrated examples - A definition can first really be grasped when you get your hands dirty or see A LOT of examples clearly demonstrating what is being spoken about and what is NOT being spoken about.
  • Lack of Depth: Explaining subjects or theories without showing in depth how the theory is derived, through math, reasoning and a visual demonstration of the experimental setup. Just learning an equation/calculus is easy but understanding clearly how the equation is derived - the reasoning, the assumptions made when discovering the equation - is essential to understanding the subject.
  • Too much nonsense text: In some textbooks pages could be boiled down to a few sentences and still demonstrate a subject clearly.

What Makes a textbook great, and where can I find such a book in general Chemistry?
(undergraduate level)?
  • All the opposites of the negatives.
  • Great visual explanation - Images demonstration what is being spoken about.
  • Depth: Deriving equations, showing and explaining the experimental setup, the reasoning, the logic so you understand how the equation came into existence and in which situations it's relevant. This is much better than an oversimplified view with no actual logical argument/math involved.
  • Short but concise and with ample amount of examples, for the reader to understand the point.
I'd really like to find general chemistry book for self-study (perhaps with a solution manual for self check) which close to meets theese requirements.

So my question is: IS there such a general chemistry book? Or would i have to buy several books? What books would you recommend?
I've got about 6 gen chem textbooks and my favorite two are:

Chemistry: A molecular approach - Nivaldo Tro

General Chemistry - Linus Pauling

Between these two and a good 1st&2nd year calculus book you'll be styling.

I can understand your frustration with finding a good general chemistry textbook for self-study. It is important to have a solid foundation in chemistry, as it is a fundamental subject in science and can be applied to many fields.

In my opinion, a good introductory chemistry textbook should have clear and concise explanations, with a good balance of text and visuals. It should also have plenty of examples and practice problems for the reader to apply their understanding. Additionally, it should provide a good depth of understanding by explaining the theory behind the concepts and how they are derived.

I agree with your points about what makes a textbook bad, such as lack of visual explanation, lack of examples, lack of depth, and too much unnecessary text. These can make it difficult for readers to grasp the concepts and apply them effectively.

On the other hand, a great textbook should have all the opposite qualities, such as great visual explanations, depth of understanding, concise yet informative content, and ample examples for practice.

I would recommend looking for textbooks that are well-reviewed and recommended by other students or professors. You can also check out online reviews and ratings for different textbooks to get an idea of their quality. Additionally, some publishers offer online resources and solutions manuals for self-study, which can be helpful for checking your understanding.

Some textbooks that I have personally found to be good for self-study at the undergraduate level include "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Brown, LeMay, Bursten, Murphy, and Woodward, and "General Chemistry: Principles and Modern Applications" by Petrucci, Herring, Madura, and Bissonnette. However, it is always important to find a textbook that suits your personal learning style and preferences.

I hope this helps in your search for a good general chemistry textbook. Keep in mind that with self-study, it is important to also supplement your learning with additional resources such as online tutorials, practice problems, and videos. Good luck!

What makes a general chemistry book great for self-study?

A great general chemistry book for self-study should have clear and concise explanations, relevant and up-to-date content, a variety of practice problems, and helpful study aids such as diagrams and summaries.

What are some recommended general chemistry books for self-study?

Some recommended general chemistry books for self-study include "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Brown, LeMay, and Bursten, "Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" by Tro, and "General Chemistry" by Petrucci.

Do I need prior knowledge in chemistry to use a general chemistry book for self-study?

No, a good general chemistry book for self-study should be suitable for beginners and cover all the necessary foundational concepts in chemistry.

Are there online resources available to supplement a general chemistry book for self-study?

Yes, many general chemistry books for self-study have accompanying online resources such as practice quizzes, animations, and interactive simulations to enhance the learning experience.

How long does it typically take to self-study general chemistry using a good book?

The time it takes to self-study general chemistry using a good book can vary depending on individual learning pace and dedication, but it is recommended to spend at least 2-3 hours per week for a successful understanding of the material.