Looking for Economic data on oil exports and imports

In summary, a source for economic data on oil exports and imports is the Energy Information Administration and the BP statistical report. Commodities like oil are sold in world markets and may pass through multiple countries before reaching their final destination.
saminator910
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a source for economic data where I can find a list of countries with where they export oil to, and how much per year. I use Mathematica, but their "CountryData" function doesn't have the functionality to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best source of that information will be the particular countries department of statistics.

Alright, any other suggestions, I can manually conglomerate the data of different countries, but it's going to take longer. If it's on one site, I can grab and parse all of it.

Try this.

http://www.energyrealities.org/chapter/global-markets/item/oil-gas-imports-and-exports/erpE6CBB7551EB58B321

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
The US Government has a whole department which deals with such data: the Energy Information Administration

http://www.eia.gov/

Commodities like petroleum are sold in world markets, where whoever has the asking price can purchase that commodity. Unless there is some sort of trade agreement between two countries which specifies that country A will supply country B with so many barrels of oil per year, oil may pass thru many different hands on its way from country A to country B.

Evo, thanks a lot, there's a link to a BP statistical report on that page, and I found good data.

http://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/about-bp/energy-economics/statistical-review-of-world-energy-2013/review-by-energy-type/oil/oil-trade-movements.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad I could help.

1. What are the top oil exporting countries?

As of 2021, the top oil exporting countries are Saudi Arabia, Russia, and Iraq.

2. How much oil is imported and exported globally?

According to the International Energy Agency, in 2020, the global oil imports and exports were approximately 39 million barrels per day.

3. What is the impact of oil exports and imports on a country's economy?

Oil exports can have a positive impact on a country's economy by increasing revenue and creating job opportunities. However, heavy dependence on oil exports can also make a country vulnerable to fluctuations in global oil prices. Oil imports can also have a significant impact on a country's economy, as it affects the cost of energy and can contribute to trade imbalances.

4. How has the COVID-19 pandemic affected oil exports and imports?

The COVID-19 pandemic has significantly affected global oil exports and imports. Due to travel restrictions and decreased demand for oil, many countries have reduced their oil imports, leading to a decline in global oil trade. The pandemic has also highlighted the need for diversifying economies and reducing reliance on oil exports.

5. Where can I find reliable data on oil exports and imports?

The International Energy Agency, the United Nations Comtrade database, and the Energy Information Administration are reliable sources for data on oil exports and imports. Additionally, many government agencies and organizations publish reports and data on their respective country's oil trade. It is essential to ensure the credibility and accuracy of the source when using the data for research or analysis purposes.