Reverse-engineer fractal resampling process

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to identify common features in time series of various lengths and the use of a method to strip out noise and bring them to the same scale for comparison. The method involves keeping specific points and adding mid-points in intervals until the desired accuracy is achieved. The conversation also mentions potential sources of inspiration, such as contacting the authors of the work or looking into fractal terrain generation.
deadrabbit
Hey,

I am working on a project where I need to take several time series of various lengths and identify common features. So, for example, a period of 100 days may exhibit the same features as a period of 10 days -- the system is self-similar in this way.

In order to compare these series of different lengths I need to strip out noise that is not important for feature identification in order to bring them to the same scale.

I have come across this document that shows a rather efficient method of doing this and would like to reverse engineer it... any help greatly appreciated.

http://www.congrexprojects.com/docs...4_12-40_donati-martinez_fractalresampling.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
deadrabbit said:
Hey,

I am working on a project where I need to take several time series of various lengths and identify common features. So, for example, a period of 100 days may exhibit the same features as a period of 10 days -- the system is self-similar in this way.

In order to compare these series of different lengths I need to strip out noise that is not important for feature identification in order to bring them to the same scale.

I have come across this document that shows a rather efficient method of doing this and would like to reverse engineer it... any help greatly appreciated.

http://www.congrexprojects.com/docs...4_12-40_donati-martinez_fractalresampling.pdf

Why don't you just contact the authors of the work to ask for their help?

Doesn't page 8 already explain it?

If the original data set is ##x_0, x_1, \dots##, start by keeping the points ##x_0, x_{2^k}, 2x_{2^k}, \dots## for a "large" value of ##k##.

If linear interpolation between those points is not good enough in an interval, add the mid-point of that interval to the list of points.

Rinse and repeat till the result is accurate enough.

In the example they start from ##x_0## and ##x_8##, then add the mid point ##x_4##, etc.

You might want to compare this will something like spline fitting adaptive knot placement, e.g. http://www3.stat.sinica.edu.tw/statistica/oldpdf/A20n39.pdf

For the "inspiration" on page 7, google fractal (or fractional) brownian terrain generation.

Last edited:

1. What is a reverse-engineer fractal resampling process?

A reverse-engineer fractal resampling process is a method used to reconstruct a high-resolution image from a lower-resolution version. It involves analyzing the patterns and structures of the lower-resolution image to create a more detailed version using fractal mathematics.

2. How does reverse-engineer fractal resampling work?

Reverse-engineer fractal resampling works by breaking down a lower-resolution image into smaller sections and analyzing the patterns within those sections. Then, using fractal algorithms, these patterns are extrapolated and applied to the larger image to create a higher-resolution version.

3. What are the benefits of using reverse-engineer fractal resampling?

The main benefit of using reverse-engineer fractal resampling is that it can significantly improve the quality of a low-resolution image without distorting or blurring the original details. It is also a relatively fast and efficient method compared to other image enhancement techniques.

4. Are there any limitations to reverse-engineer fractal resampling?

One limitation of reverse-engineer fractal resampling is that it works best on images with repetitive patterns or structures. It may not be as effective for images with irregular or complex shapes. Additionally, this method may not work well on very low-resolution images with minimal details to analyze.

5. What industries or fields commonly use reverse-engineer fractal resampling?

Reverse-engineer fractal resampling is commonly used in the fields of image processing, computer graphics, and digital art. It is also utilized in industries such as medical imaging, satellite imagery, and video game development.