Superconductivity and Quantum Field Theory

In summary, theories of superconductivity need to be quantum field theories with 2nd quantisation because they allow for a visualization of all the relevant interactions and mechanism of the phenomena, which cannot be achieved with classical field theories. Furthermore, the use of second quantization allows for the necessary creation-destruction operators to describe the interactions of the system, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of superconductivity. First quantization is not enough as it does not take into account the necessary interactions and mechanisms involved in the phenomenon.
vkc102
Why do theories of superconductivity need to be quantum field theories with 2nd quantisation? Isn't first quantisation enough?

Physics news on Phys.org
vkc102 said:
Why do theories of superconductivity need to be quantum field theories with 2nd quantisation? Isn't first quantisation enough?

That question doesn't make sense. It's like asking why we use the Lagrangian/Hamiltonian when Newton's Force law approach should be "enough".

If you wish to use the variational approach to BCS Theory, then do it. There's nothing wrong with that. However, you'll be missing out on the powerful technique from the field theoretic approach that allows for a visualization of all the relevant interactions and mechanism of the phenomena. Furthermore, in most cases, the only thing you can know and write are just the Hamiltonian of the system (this if often the case in condensed matter when you're dealing with a gazillion interacting particles). You have ZERO ability to even "guess" at the wavefunction. Thus, you start with the necessary creation-destruction operators at the Hamiltonian that describes all the necessary interaction of the system. Such a description will be transparent to know what is involved in the system.

Zz.

Oops I think didn't phrase my question well enough. I meant to ask why doesn't a classical field theory like the Kronig Penny model work for superconductivity. Is it because without quantisation of the field, you can't get the phonons electron interaction to form Cooper pairs? Can you even get phonons at all for that matter with a classical field?

"Kronig Penny classical field theory"??:bugeye:

Please do some reading on QM and Solid State Physics.

Phonons,like all possible "on-s" are particles which appear from the second quantization,i.e.using the operators of creating and annihilating uniparticle states in a Fock space.

Daniel.

vkc102 said:
Oops I think didn't phrase my question well enough. I meant to ask why doesn't a classical field theory like the Kronig Penny model work for superconductivity. Is it because without quantisation of the field, you can't get the phonons electron interaction to form Cooper pairs? Can you even get phonons at all for that matter with a classical field?

This doesn't make it any better. In fact, I am even more confused now.

Why would "Kronig-Penny" potential work for, of all things, superconductivity? I mean, if you really look at the BCS Theory, the "mechanism" for it is actually quite general. They just HAPPENED to use phonons as the mechanism for the pairing because that was what was known and accepted at that time. However, there's nothing to say that spin-fluctuation, etc. cannot be used. Thus, phonons are quite irrelevant in such a phenomena in general.

Zz.

Originally Posted by vkc102
"Why do theories of superconductivity need to be quantum field theories with 2nd quantisation? Isn't first quantisation enough"

I think this is a good question and the meaning is perfectly clear.

Yes, in principle a many-body wavefunction solution of the instantaneous Coulumb interactions between the lattice and electron particles would yield Cooper pair type solutions without a phonon or retarded interaction in sight. In fact you really can write a fairly realistic Gaussian product type wfn that solves for harmonic potential interactions and which encapsulates a lot of the basic physics.

Conventional 2nd quantization treatments are intrinsically messy and limited, because they invoke a hybrid semi-classical picture of the crystal ie. classical lattice points with vibration modes plus quantum fermi liquid. My impression is that nobody in the field likes Fröhlich / BCS much.

1. What is superconductivity?

Superconductivity is a phenomenon where certain materials can conduct electricity with zero resistance at very low temperatures. This means that an electric current can flow through the material without any loss of energy, making it highly efficient for use in various technologies.

2. What is the difference between Type I and Type II superconductors?

Type I superconductors are characterized by a sudden and complete loss of electrical resistance below a certain critical temperature. Type II superconductors, on the other hand, have a more gradual decrease in resistance and can also maintain a certain amount of electrical resistance even below the critical temperature.

3. How does superconductivity relate to quantum field theory?

Quantum field theory is used to describe the behavior of elementary particles and their interactions. Superconductivity is a macroscopic manifestation of quantum behavior at the atomic level. The theory helps explain the properties of superconductors and how they are able to conduct electricity with zero resistance.

4. Can superconductivity be achieved at room temperature?

Currently, superconductivity can only be achieved at very low temperatures, typically below -200 degrees Celsius. However, researchers are constantly working on discovering new materials and techniques that could potentially lead to superconductivity at higher temperatures, making it more practical for everyday use.

5. What are some practical applications of superconductivity?

Superconductivity has a wide range of practical applications, including in medical imaging devices like MRI machines, in power transmission and storage systems, and in high-speed computing. It also has potential uses in transportation, such as in magnetic levitation trains, and in various scientific instruments and experiments.