Can Single Photons Produce Interference Patterns in Young's Experiment?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a single photon in a Young's interference experiment and whether it would yield an interference pattern. It is mentioned that with a single photon, only a single spot would be seen, but with multiple photons, an interference pattern can be observed. The conversation also mentions a claim from Michael Crichton's book about the use of a photon from a parallel universe to produce the interference pattern, but it is pointed out that this is a work of fiction and may not be scientifically accurate. The conversation also addresses the use of excessive capitalization in the original post.
extreme_machinations
I Read This In A Michael Crichton Book ,and I Want Someone To Confirm This :
If A Single Photon Is Used In A Young's Interfreence Experiment Would It A Still Yeild An Interference Pattern ?

Science news on Phys.org
By the way, it would have been better to post your question in the Quantum Physics forum. Don't be surprised if one of the moderators moves this thread there.

With a single photon, you'll get just a single spot on the screen or detector, and won't be able to see an interference pattern. However, the probability that the photon arrives at various locations on the screen follows the interference pattern, so if you then send more photons, one after the other, the interference pattern will build up, point by point. Here's an example from an actual experiment:

http://ophelia.princeton.edu/~page/single_photon.html

Last edited by a moderator:
But Crichton Claims That Along With A Photon From A Our Universe Ther'd Be Another One From A Parallel Universe Which 'd Interfere With It To Produce The Pattern , I Sense That Its Got Something To Do With Multiple Dimensions And String Theory .

extreme_machinations said:
But Crichton Claims That Along With A Photon From A Our Universe Ther'd Be Another One From A Parallel Universe Which 'd Interfere With It To Produce The Pattern , I Sense That Its Got Something To Do With Multiple Dimensions And String Theory .

I'm sorry, but please pay attention to your SOURCE! It's a fiction! He has no obligation to make this ideas physically sound!

I know you're trying to get clarification of the stuff he's using in his book, but you must also, on your part, be REALISTIC in asking such questions and putting THIS MUCH emphasis and credibility of the "physics" done from such sources.

BTW, is there a way for you to STOP typing the way you are doing now? I know it can be done because I HAVE seen your posting without this annoying capitalization.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I'm sorry, but please pay attention to your SOURCE! It's a fiction! He has no obligation to make this ideas physically sound!
I know you're trying to get clarification of the stuff he's using in his book, but you must also, on your part, be REALISTIC in asking such questions and putting THIS MUCH emphasis and credibility of the "physics" done from such sources.
BTW, is there a way for you to STOP typing the way you are doing now? I know it can be done because I HAVE seen your posting without this annoying capitalization.
Zz.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What is single photon interference?

Single photon interference is a phenomenon that occurs when a single photon is sent through a double-slit or other interference experiment. The photon behaves like a wave, creating an interference pattern, even though it is only a single particle.

Why is single photon interference important?

Single photon interference is important because it provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of light, meaning that light can behave as both a wave and a particle. This has significant implications in the field of quantum mechanics and has led to advancements in technologies such as quantum computing and cryptography.

How is single photon interference studied?

Single photon interference is typically studied using a double-slit experiment, where a single photon is sent through two parallel slits and its interference pattern is observed. Other methods include using a Mach-Zehnder interferometer or a beam splitter to observe the interference pattern.

What are some real-world applications of single photon interference?

Single photon interference has various applications, including in quantum cryptography for secure communication, in quantum computing for faster and more efficient processing, and in quantum metrology for precise measurements.

Are there any challenges associated with studying single photon interference?

Yes, there are several challenges in studying single photon interference, such as the difficulty in detecting and controlling individual photons, the fragility of the interference pattern, and the effects of environmental disturbances on the interference pattern. These challenges require advanced experimental techniques and equipment.