There is no conservation law for acids/bases, right?

In summary, there is no universal pH conservation law and the pH of a particular universe will depend on the initial concentration of the elements and the extent of chemical reaction.
Simfish
Gold Member
For some reason, I've thought that there is some conservation law for acids and bases. Acids neutralize bases when added to bases, and as such, I've always thought that the pH of all possible acids/bases in the universe must add up to 7. But maybe this isn't right. After all - you don't need to neutralize acids with bases. Acids are just hydrogen ions, strictly speaking, and as such, you can neutralize acids without using up bases (and as such, you can have more acids than bases in the universe). Is this reasoning correct? And if so, does the universe have more of one than the other?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No such law. To make things more complicated, neutral is not necessarilly 7... See water ion product page for explanation.

Last edited:
Not to my knowledge there isn't, I may be wrong though. Come to think of it there is probably more acids than bases, for example amino acids. They just seem to occur more commonly in nature than bases.

Amino acids are amphoteric (they have both acidic and basic "ends") so they are not necesarilly good example.

Simfish said:
For some reason, I've thought that there is some conservation law for acids and bases. Acids neutralize bases when added to bases, and as such, I've always thought that the pH of all possible acids/bases in the universe must add up to 7. But maybe this isn't right. After all - you don't need to neutralize acids with bases. Acids are just hydrogen ions, strictly speaking, and as such, you can neutralize acids without using up bases (and as such, you can have more acids than bases in the universe). Is this reasoning correct? And if so, does the universe have more of one than the other?

Hydrogen is not equated with acid you need to consider Lewis acid and Lewis bases.

The "Conservation" merely pertains to a system - the system of the human body has a certain pH range for example. However there is no universal law that I know of.

Imagine a universe containing only hydrogen gas, chlorine gas and oxygen gas. Before a spark there is no appropriate definition of pH. After a spark (and some burning) you have HCl and H2O which most people would say is acidic. If you add nitrogen to the mix you could also have NH3 and ammonium chloride, for example. In that case the ultimate pH is a reflection of the initial concentration of the elements and the extent of reaction. Some parts of the universe might not burn or be in chemical contact with other parts of the universe... the pH could vary spatially throughout the universe. That's a simple description of the state of our universe now.

1. Is there a conservation law for acids and bases?

No, there is no specific conservation law for acids and bases. However, the principles of conservation of mass and charge still apply.

2. What are the principles of conservation of mass and charge?

The principle of conservation of mass states that the total mass of a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any physical or chemical changes that may occur. The principle of conservation of charge states that the total charge of a closed system remains constant, with any loss of charge in one part being balanced by an equal gain of charge in another part.

3. Why is there no specific conservation law for acids and bases?

This is because acids and bases are not substances in and of themselves, but rather categories of substances based on their chemical properties. The conservation laws apply to individual chemical species and not to categories.

4. How do the principles of conservation apply to acids and bases?

The principles of conservation of mass and charge still apply to reactions involving acids and bases. For example, in a neutralization reaction between an acid and a base, the total mass and charge of the reactants and products will remain the same.

5. Are there any other laws or principles that apply to acids and bases?

In addition to the principles of conservation, there are other laws and principles that govern the behavior of acids and bases. These include the law of mass action, the equilibrium constant, and the Bronsted-Lowry theory of acids and bases.