Forces - finding minimum mass given coefficients of friction

In summary: Well the push back from the table on the block has to be less than mg if you are also pulling up on the block with a string. The Normal must be less.
shawli

Homework Statement

A rope exerts a force of magnitude of 21 N, at an angle 31 degrees above the horizontal, on a box at rest on a horizontal floor. The coefficients of friction between the box and the floor are s=0.55 and k=0.50 . The box remains at rest. Determine the smallest possible mass of the box.

Homework Equations

Fs= s*Fnormal , Fk=k*Fnormal

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attached my system diagram to the post.
Using vector components, I find that Fapp-x=18 N and Fapp-y=10.8N. That's all I know how to do here :/.

I have to solve for mass, but I'm not sure how the physics is working. Can someone start me off on how to solve this question?

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 1,547
Physics news on Phys.org
shawli said:

Homework Statement

A rope exerts a force of magnitude of 21 N, at an angle 31 degrees above the horizontal, on a box at rest on a horizontal floor. The coefficients of friction between the box and the floor are s=0.55 and k=0.50 . The box remains at rest. Determine the smallest possible mass of the box.

Homework Equations

Fs= s*Fnormal , Fk=k*Fnormal

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attached my system diagram to the post.
Using vector components, I find that Fapp-x=18 N and Fapp-y=10.8N. That's all I know how to do here :/.

I have to solve for mass, but I'm not sure how the physics is working. Can someone start me off on how to solve this question?

So you start off by looking at Fs compared to F applied in the horizontal. If they are exactly equal in magnitude, the mass will not accelerate. Does this make sense?

You have calculated Fx, or the applied horizontal force, so that's done. How are you going to calculate Fs? In other words, can you write an equation to calculate Fs? I bet the equation you write will have one unknown, m...

Last edited:
pgardn said:
So you start off by looking at Fs compared to F applied in the horizontal. If they are exactly equal in magnitude, the mass will not accelerate. Does this make sense?

Fs = Fapp in order for the object to be at rest. Now, since the question says that force is being applied to move it, I'm not sure how to use Fk with Fs.

pgardn said:
You have calculated Fx, or the applied horizontal force, so that's done. How are you going to calculate Fs? In other words, can you write an equation to calculate Fs? I bet the equation you write will have one unknown, m...

Fn = Fg+Fapp-y (you have to consider the upward component of the applied force, right?)

Fs = s*Fn
Fs = 0.55 * (9.8m+10.8) ...I think this is it?

I'm lost with how to manipulate Fk though.

shawli said:
Fs = Fapp in order for the object to be at rest. Now, since the question says that force is being applied to move it, I'm not sure how to use Fk with Fs.

Fn = Fg+Fapp-y (you have to consider the upward component of the applied force, right?)

Fs = s*Fn
Fs = 0.55 * (9.8m+10.8) ...I think this is it?

I'm lost with how to manipulate Fk though.

I thought it said minimum mass so it stays at rest. Why do you need the coefficient of kinetic friction?

What does the normal for Fn equal in this situation? I think you may have a sign problem.

If the object is at rest then Fs= Fapp, like you said before.
and Fapp = Fapp-x (horizontal component of the applied force).

So then

18 = 0.55 * (9.8m+10.8)
m = 2.03 kg

Bah, the answer is 4.4kg.

Did I do something wrong?

This is what I have as the normal force:

Fn = 9.8m+10.8

It should be a positive value, no?

shawli said:
Bah, the answer is 4.4kg.

Did I do something wrong?

The normal force is equal to Mg - F(applied)y... or Mg - F(vertical)yes?

pgardn said:
The normal force is equal to Mg - F(applied)y... or Mg - F(vertical)yes?

Yup, the F vertical/F applied y is equal to 10.8N (calculated with vector components).
So ...the sign is flipped! I guess that makes sense because the F vertical is pointing downwards. But then, I didn't make 9.8m/s^2 negative, even though its the downward acceleration of gravity. I get confused about sign flipping all the time, but okay, thank you!

shawli said:
Yup, the F vertical/F applied y is equal to 10.8N (calculated with vector components).
So ...the sign is flipped! I guess that makes sense because the F vertical is pointing downwards. But then, I didn't make 9.8m/s^2 negative, even though its the downward acceleration of gravity. I get confused about sign flipping all the time, but okay, thank you!

Well the push back from the table on the block has to be less than mg if you are also pulling up on the block with a string. The Normal must be less. The normal force would be more than mg if you pushed down on a block with your finger. The table would push back with mg + force of finger. I hope this makes sense.

1. What is the formula for finding minimum mass given coefficients of friction?

The formula for finding minimum mass given coefficients of friction is:
Minimum mass = (Coefficient of friction) x (Normal force)

2. What are the units for the coefficients of friction?

The units for the coefficients of friction are dimensionless, as they are a ratio of two forces.

3. How do I determine the normal force in this scenario?

The normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it, and is equal to the weight of the object in most cases. If the object is on an inclined plane, the normal force can be calculated using the formula:
Normal force = (Mass of object) x (Acceleration due to gravity) x (cosine of angle of inclination)

4. Can the coefficient of friction ever be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can be greater than 1. This means that the force required to move an object on a surface is greater than the weight of the object itself.

5. How does the coefficient of friction affect the minimum mass required for an object to move?

The coefficient of friction directly affects the minimum mass required for an object to move. A higher coefficient of friction means that a greater force is needed to overcome the frictional force and move the object, thus requiring a higher minimum mass.