Is all electrical energy eventually lost as heat in solid state electronics?

In summary: I wasn't sure what you were asking. They need to dissipate the heat generated by the electronic components in order to keep the system running smoothly.
infomike
I've never heard it said before but it appears to me that all electrical current that flows in a solid state component system; processors, diodes, transistors, resistors, etc. is eventually dissipated as heat. What are your thoughts about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
All energy, including electrical, is eventually lost as heat. That's the "second law of thermodynamics".

HallsofIvy said:
All energy, including electrical, is eventually lost as heat. That's the "second law of thermodynamics".

So it appears to me then, unlike other kinds of circuits where electrical energy is converted to mechanical energy or chemical energy, no actual work is done in most digital circuitry. It only results in heat. I guess that's why you need all those heat sinks and fans blowing on CPUs.

It is possible to recycle mechanical work, make work out of heat etc. However, efficiency in all things are not 100%. Eventually ALL electrical or mechanical energy will be lost as heat.

Vidar

infomike said:
I've never heard it said before but it appears to me that all electrical current that flows in a solid state component system; processors, diodes, transistors, resistors, etc. is eventually dissipated as heat. What are your thoughts about this?

Uh ... your computer doesn't have any lights on it? How about a disk drive? How about a screen?

phinds said:
Uh ... your computer doesn't have any lights on it? How about a disk drive? How about a screen?
None of those devices do more than temporarily convert electrical energy to something other than heat for more than a few milliseconds, except for the small amount of kinetic energy stored in the spinning disk drive (which over time is inconsequential compared to the continuous loss due to friction).

russ_watters said:
None of those devices do more than temporarily convert electrical energy to something other than heat for more than a few milliseconds, except for the small amount of kinetic energy stored in the spinning disk drive (which over time is inconsequential compared to the continuous loss due to friction).

Agreed, it was just that he seemed to think ALL went to heat, period, and I wanted to point out that this is not exactly right. Actually, the screen is on all of the time and there's probably a modest amount of energy getting converted to light.

infomike said:
So it appears to me then, unlike other kinds of circuits where electrical energy is converted to mechanical energy or chemical energy, no actual work is done in most digital circuitry. It only results in heat. I guess that's why you need all those heat sinks and fans blowing on CPUs.

Home computers do convert much of the electrical energy into mechanical energy (speakers) and light energy (monitor screens). Smart phones use most of their energy to light up the screen. Industrial computers operate robots and other machinery. Computers in cars drive fuel injectors, ignition coils, etc.

The purpose of a computer is to increase the usefulness of energy. Text and graphics on a screen is more useful then a 60 Hz 120 volt sine wave. Properly timed spark and fuel delivery is more useful to an engine then raw 14 volt DC current. etc...

Making energy more useful is done by making it more orderly, decreasing it's entropy. The 2nd law of thermodynamics tells us that the entropy of a system must always increase. If we want to design a system which decreases the entropy of some energy, it will be unavoidable that it will increase the entropy of some other energy. The highest entropy state that energy can take (under terrestrial conditions) is heat. Therefore the energy that comes into a computer is divided into 2 classes. Entropy is removed from the energy designated to become useful output and added to the energy which becomes un-useful output (heat).

Edit: useful and un-useful may have been a poor choice of words. The heat generated by my computer in the winter is every bit as useful as the heat generated by my furnace. I hope my meaning was clear.

Last edited:
phinds said:
Agreed, it was just that he seemed to think ALL went to heat, period, and I wanted to point out that this is not exactly right. Actually, the screen is on all of the time and there's probably a modest amount of energy getting converted to light.
Well almost all of the electrical energy does something useful before being converted to heat. Not just that which is turned into light or mechanical energy.

phinds said:

Well, actually, I was generalizing and knew about those other devices. I was thinking of the logic circuitry on the circuit boards.

Why do solid state devices need to produce heat?

Their input is organized electric current - energy with very little entropy. The entropy that was included in the source of electricity, like heat engine, was rejected as the cooling heat of the heat engine - the shaft to electric generator and the wires from generator received energy free of entropy.

So, can a solid state device operate just by rearranging the organized energy, and avoid creating heat?

Every time it "re-arranges" the energy, it has to discard some.

snorkack said:
Why do solid state devices need to produce heat?

So, can a solid state device operate just by rearranging the organized energy, and avoid creating heat?

russ_watters said:
Every time it "re-arranges" the energy, it has to discard some.

Also, heat is lost by the resistance in the circuits.

mrspeedybob said:
Smart phones use most of their energy to light up the screen.
But the screens are so inefficient that most of that energy comes out the screen as heat rather than light.

1. How does electrical energy get converted into heat in solid state electronics?

Electrical energy is converted into heat in solid state electronics through a process called resistive heating. This occurs when the electrical current encounters resistance in a material, causing the electrons to bump into atoms and transfer their kinetic energy, resulting in an increase in temperature.

2. Can any measures be taken to reduce the amount of heat generated in solid state electronics?

Yes, there are several measures that can be taken to reduce the amount of heat generated in solid state electronics. This includes using materials with lower resistivity, designing circuits with lower power consumption, and implementing cooling mechanisms such as fans or heat sinks.

3. Is there a limit to how much heat can be generated in solid state electronics?

Yes, there is a limit to how much heat can be generated in solid state electronics. This is known as the maximum power dissipation, which is determined by the materials and design of the circuit. If this limit is exceeded, it can lead to overheating and potentially damage the electronics.

4. Are there any applications where the conversion of electrical energy into heat in solid state electronics is beneficial?

Yes, there are various applications where the conversion of electrical energy into heat in solid state electronics is beneficial. This includes heating elements in appliances, such as stoves and toasters, and in devices like hair dryers and soldering irons. It can also be used in thermoelectric generators to convert heat into electricity.

5. How does the conversion of electrical energy into heat affect the overall efficiency of solid state electronics?

The conversion of electrical energy into heat can decrease the overall efficiency of solid state electronics. This is because the heat generated represents energy that is lost and not available for the intended purpose of the circuit. Therefore, it is important for designers to consider heat dissipation and implement strategies to minimize its impact on efficiency.