Outdoor wired networking advice

by TheRascalKing
Tags: advice, networking, outdoor, wired
Share this thread:
TheRascalKing
Apr30-13, 04:33 PM
P: 7
Hello all,
so I'm sick of connecting wirelessly from my router (in the bottom, rear, west corner of my house) to the room where I do all of my work (the top, front, east corner). I decided I'm going to run a cable along the outside of the house and into the work room.

The cable will not be buried, and I'm worried about it being subject to the elements. It will be about 150 feet, and as I understand it, there isn't any serious performance loss until about 200 feet or more, so that shouldn't be a problem.

So far, it seems to me like a cable like this one should do the job:
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/150ft-ou...211959042.html

However, before I go and spend my money, I want to make sure this is the right tool for the job.
Other than installing it along the house, is there any additional steps that I would have to take to ensure durability? Would I have to worry about grounding and lightning strikes?

Thanks

EDIT: I should probably also mention where I live, in case climate makes a difference. I live in the Greater Philadelphia Area, so we get a little bit of everything weather-wise, but nothing too extreme.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
robphy
Apr30-13, 07:35 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,118
Is it that your wifi signal is weak where you wish to work?
Try a repeater:
http://www.newegg.com/Wireless-Range...tegory/ID-2948
berkeman
Apr30-13, 07:39 PM
Mentor
P: 40,628
Quote Quote by robphy View Post
Is it that your wifi signal is weak where you wish to work?
Try a repeater:
http://www.newegg.com/Wireless-Range...tegory/ID-2948
Great idea! I was going to suggest a directional antenna at his router, but the repeater idea is more flexible.

jtbell
Apr30-13, 08:12 PM
Mentor
P: 11,586
Outdoor wired networking advice

If the house's electrical wiring is in good shape, perhaps a pair of powerline networking adapters would do the trick.

WD Livewire Powerline AV Network Kit

Linksys Powerline AV 4-Port Network Adapter Kit (PLSK400)

I've been considering getting one of these two models, to allow me to stream video faster between my computer at one end of my house to the audio/video setup at the other end. I now have to use a wireless extender (a second Apple Airport Express unit) to cover the distance and punch through the intervening walls.
Borg
May1-13, 05:48 PM
PF Gold
P: 758
Maybe the OP could move the router one room or two closer toward the the top, front, east corner?
rcgldr
May1-13, 07:06 PM
HW Helper
P: 7,030
Quote Quote by TheRascalKing View Post
The cable will not be buried, and I'm worried about it being subject to the elements.
What about a lightning strike?
Chronos
May2-13, 02:11 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,355
Burying your cable will expose you to all sorts of undesirable side effects that will be difficult to service without replacing the cable. Most wireless routers easily have a range of a hundred or more feet. At worst, you might need a repeater.

Register to reply