Calculating Torque and Force on Supports A and B

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force at each endpoint of a board with a center of mass and two supports. The formula for calculating the force at each endpoint is provided, and the importance of checking for static equilibrium is mentioned. The conversation also includes a realization and explanation for a mistake made while switching from paper to computer.
Physics is Phun
hey. I got a bunch of questions based on this idea, so i want to make sure i got it right before i do everthing.
lets say i got a board sitting between 2 supports A & B. with a length L and a centre of mass x from A. i need to find the force of both endpoints on the supports.
would it be forceA = mg(L-x)L and forceB = mg(x)L ?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost. Taking moments about the two supports and you get.

forceA=mg(L-x)/L and forceB=mg(x)/L

A quick way to check this is that for static equilibrium the downwards forces must equal the upwards forces. In this case, forceA + forceB = mg

oh geez. that IS actually what i had done. Honestly. Why won't u believe me?!
I just switched it in my head going from paper to computer.

1. What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force on an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

2. How does the position of the force affect the torque?

The position of the force relative to the pivot point affects the torque. The farther away the force is from the pivot point, the greater the torque will be.

3. How do I calculate the force on support A and B?

To calculate the force on support A and B, you will need to use the equation: ΣF = 0. This means that the sum of all the forces acting on the object must equal zero. By setting up and solving equations using this principle, you can determine the forces on the supports.

4. What factors affect the force on the supports?

The force on the supports can be affected by a few factors including the weight of the object, the distance from the pivot point to the supports, and the angle at which the force is applied.

5. How can I use torque and force calculations in real-life applications?

Torque and force calculations are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as designing bridges, analyzing the stability of structures, and understanding the mechanics of machines. They are also important in fields like physics, engineering, and construction.