Spider Subspecies in NC? - Has Friend Found New One?

• Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date
However, this is just an educated guess and more research is needed to confirm. In summary, there is a possibility that the red spider webs in North Carolina are due to the spiders consuming iron-rich soil, but further investigation is necessary to determine the specific species and subspecies responsible.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Does anyone know about any spider species that weave a red web? I have seen this in a picture a friend has taken, in North Carolina. Has she found a new subspecies?

Biology news on Phys.org
Never mind. As it turned out, the guy she was hanging out with at the time is a prankster.

Wish you had held out a little longer, I was going to take an educated guess.:smile:

The red webs in North Carolina may have to do with consumption of the ferric soils in the arachnid's diet. There is a band of red (iron rich) soil's that spans from Carolinas down to Florida and across the south, at least to Arizona, (as evident in the Grand Canyon). I know this first hand, as I've collected samples from each state.

If the spider incorporated this mineral into its web, it could account for the unusual red color.

1. What are the different subspecies of spiders found in NC?

There are several subspecies of spiders found in North Carolina, including the Carolina Wolf Spider, the Black Widow Spider, and the Brown Recluse Spider.

2. Are there any new or undiscovered spider subspecies in NC?

It is possible that there are new or undiscovered spider subspecies in North Carolina. Further research and field studies are needed to confirm their existence.

3. How can I identify a new spider subspecies?

Identifying a new spider subspecies requires a thorough examination of its physical characteristics, including body shape, size, color, and patterns. DNA analysis may also be necessary to confirm its distinctiveness from other known subspecies.

4. Is it safe to handle spiders in NC to look for new subspecies?

It is not recommended to handle spiders in North Carolina without proper training and equipment. Some species, such as the Black Widow and Brown Recluse, are venomous and can cause harm if mishandled.

5. What should I do if I think I have found a new spider subspecies in NC?

If you believe you have found a new spider subspecies in North Carolina, it is important to document your findings and contact a local university or research institution for further investigation. It is also recommended to seek guidance from a trained arachnologist for proper identification and handling.