I'm not sure if I understand the question - please clarify!

In summary, the hypergeometric transformation states that by changing the variable of integration from t to t-1, the equation _2F_1(a,b;c;z) is equivalent to _2F_1(a,c-b;c; z/(1-z)). This transformation can be derived by substituting t=1-u and using a change of variables.
Wishbone
I am having trouble with a problem that asks me to show that if I change the variable of integration of the following equation from t to t-1 the following

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/images/equations/EulersHypergeometricTransformations/equation1.gif
(disregard that z in the denominator, that should not be there)

will equal the following

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/images/equations/EulersHypergeometricTransformations/inline16.gif
(this one uses z's instead of t's)I have tried simply changing the all the t's to t-1, and the only differentiating the t-1 term. That of course didn't work. I also tried a U substitution and that gave me an integral that looked like it couldn't be solved analytically (if you want me to post that code I can). I am not sure whether I even need to integrate, or whether this is one of those problems with a really quick shortuct and I can avoid doing any integration. Anyways, any help would be appreicated, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
(disregard that z in the denominator, that should not be there)
Why do you think it should not be there? Without it, the right side does not depend on z at all, although the left side being 2F1(a,b;c;z) suggests it should.

a Hypergeometric transformation

[tex]_2F_1(a,b;c;z)=\int_{t=0}^{1}\frac{t^{b-1}(1-t)^{c-b-1}}{(1-tz)^{a}}dt[/tex]

now substitute t=1-u which gives dt=-du to get

[tex]_2F_1(a,b;c;z) = -\int_{u=1}^{0}\frac{(1-u)^{b-1}u^{c-b-1}}{(1-z+uz)^{a}}du = \int_{u=0}^{1}\frac{u^{c-b-1}(1-u)^{b-1}}{(1-z)^a\left( 1+u\frac{z}{1-z}}\right) ^{a}}du [/tex]
[tex]= (1-z)^{-a} \int_{u=0}^{1}\frac{u^{c-b-1}(1-u)^{b-1}}{\left( 1+u\frac{z}{1-z}}\right) ^{a}}du = (1-z)^{-a} \, _2F_1 \left( a,c-b;c ;\frac{z}{z-1}\right)[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is a hypergeometric function?

A hypergeometric function is a mathematical function that is used to represent the relationship between three or more variables. It is often written as F(a,b,c;x) and is commonly used in statistics, physics, and engineering to solve problems involving probability, series expansions, and differential equations.

2. How is a hypergeometric function different from other mathematical functions?

Unlike other mathematical functions, a hypergeometric function is defined in terms of a ratio of two polynomial functions. It is also a special case of the more general hypergeometric series, which has infinitely many terms, but the hypergeometric function has only finitely many terms.

3. What are some applications of the hypergeometric function?

The hypergeometric function has many applications in various fields. It is commonly used in statistics to calculate probabilities and in physics to solve problems involving wave equations and quantum mechanics. It is also used in engineering to solve problems related to heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electrical circuits.

4. How is a hypergeometric function calculated?

A hypergeometric function can be calculated using various methods, such as series expansions, recurrence relations, and integral formulas. The specific method used depends on the specific form of the hypergeometric function and the problem being solved.

5. Are there any special properties of the hypergeometric function?

Yes, the hypergeometric function has several special properties that make it useful in solving mathematical problems. For example, it has a duality property, which means that it can be transformed into different forms using certain mathematical operations. It also has a symmetry property, meaning that it can be written in terms of its complementary variables.