Photo Contest - I'm Ready For My Closeup, Mr. DeMille (8/23-8/30)

In summary, the contest is about close-up pictures of anything and the subject must be the main focus. Any picture that is a closeup of, or up close to, an object or a subject is accepted. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 pixels and crop if you wish. Only ONE picture per member per contest. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best. If there are too many entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.
It sounds like a common experience: you attempted to use auto-focus, but actually took a whole sequence of pictures none of which were focused as you intended.

That's pretty much why many people still prefer manual focus -- or, at least, auto-focus that can be used only on demand. I typically use spot auto-focus one time, then switch to manual focus to leave the focus locked for the remainder of my photos of a given scene.

Auto-focus rarely, if ever, does what you really intend for it do, with the exception of vacation pics of sunsets, and pics of your friends at a dinner table. For pretty much every other kind of photography, auto-focus is a hindrance. You'd spend less time, overall, and get more shots worth keeping with manual focus.

</rant>

And you're right, most teeny tiny point-and-shoot cameras often have pretty lousy manual controls, but not all. I have a $250 Canon SD-450, which is a tiny little camera that actually takes remarkably good photos. It has half-shutter auto-focus, which helps a bunch. You can also turn off auto-focus altogether, but it requires a couple of button pushes, and is hard to do while holding the camera still.

- Warren

Physics news on Phys.org
chroot said:
And you're right, most teeny tiny point-and-shoot cameras often have pretty lousy manual controls, but not all. I have a $250 Canon SD-450, which is a tiny little camera that actually takes remarkably good photos. It has half-shutter auto-focus, which helps a bunch. You can also turn off auto-focus altogether, but it requires a couple of button pushes, and is hard to do while holding the camera still.

- Warren
I have the SD400, which I thought was pretty much the same thing. There's some sort of manual setting, but I don't see how there's a way to manually adjust focus, just all the other settings, like white balance and exposure. Maybe I just haven't figured out how to use it yet. :redface:

Moonbear said:
I have the SD400, which I thought was pretty much the same thing. There's some sort of manual setting, but I don't see how there's a way to manually adjust focus, just all the other settings, like white balance and exposure. Maybe I just haven't figured out how to use it yet. :redface:

I have a canon A510, I downloaded your manual though pg 89-91 has all the focusing stuff. You don't have a manual focus, but you do have a focus lock. Press the shutter down half way it does the focusing at what you are aimed at, then push the flower/mountain button and it will lock the focus.

You can change how it auto focuses as well, either something in the box in the middle or some kind of evaluative version that looks at 9 areas seperately. It's in the menu called AiAF, off means it aims just at the middle, I find this is the way to go for more control.

Mine does have manual focus, but honestly it's pretty lousy for anything but macro stuff where I have a hard time getting the AF to hit what I want. It's not at all fast, you hold down the button while the bar slowly moves across the screen and it's not at all easy to tell if you're in focus or not. It blows up a small portion of the screen and I have a hard time telling when my enlarged pixelated image is sharp.

Also handy for moving stuff is the continuous shooting mode. Even with the focus lock and manual settings some cameras might have some shutter lag plus your own slowness to react so snapping a bunch of pictures can be nice.

(your kitten is very cute by the way, but you probably know that)

Thanks shmoe! I'll have to find that thing that turns off that AiAF so I can just focus on what's in the middle instead of being surprised every time.

And, yes, the kitten is cute, and I think she knows it too, because she sure thinks she can get away with a lot. She's gotten a bit too comfortable around here and thinks everything is fair game for chewing and scratching. I'm working on redirecting her to allowable areas for both, and at least she's finally gotten the idea that the scratching post is for scratching rather than being ignored (mostly, I just had to wait to find places where she was going to scratch and then move the scratching post and scratching mats to those places). We may be trying those "soft paws" things soon if I can't get her directed away from carpets and furniture, so at least she doesn't damage them, though they look an awful lot like fake fingernails (I'd give her the dignity of the clear ones at least)...not exactly sure if the instructions for those will include how one gets them onto a moving target, but I'm sure it can be accomplished with only minor caterwalling and bloodshed. :rofl:

You AiAF appears to be in roughly the same place as mine. Put the camera in shooting mode, the one you use to take pictures with normally, then hit the "menu" button (the playback mode + menu button gets a different menu). AiAF should be at the top of the list, and you should get a rectangle in the middle of your preview screen.

My cats always completely ignored scratching posts unless stocked with catnip. We built them one of those cat homes that's covered in carpet and they took to tearing it apart in no time (they sleep on/in it as well). I guess it looks enough like furniture. They pretty much leave everything else alone now.

The AiAF has helped on mine (Nikon CoolPix). It unfortunately doesn't have a manual focus. I have had to adapt to having the button half pressed long before the shot I am looking for and waiting. With my camera, it seems that the major part of the delay is from the display viewfinder getting updated (at least that's what it says in the book). Unfortunately, both viewports are CCDs and there's not much one can do about it. I'll know better on my next camera.

FredGarvin said:
The AiAF has helped on mine (Nikon CoolPix). It unfortunately doesn't have a manual focus.

In many cases the manual focus feature on a digital camera is largely useless because of the small size and limited resolution of the LCD viewscreen. (excluding DSLR's and studio setups with external monitors)
So you aren't missing much! :tongue2:

-GeoMike-

GeoMike said:
In many cases the manual focus feature on a digital camera is largely useless because of the small size and limited resolution of the LCD viewscreen. (excluding DSLR's and studio setups with external monitors)
So you aren't missing much! :tongue2:

-GeoMike-
I hadn't thought about that aspect of it. What I was thinking is that it would be nice because I could act, usually, quicker than the AF and I could set it and leave it. As it stands, the best option I have is to set the focus using the AF and then hold the AF lock. It kinda stinks. It's cases like this that I do miss my old film SLR.

shmoe said:
My cats always completely ignored scratching posts unless stocked with catnip. We built them one of those cat homes that's covered in carpet and they took to tearing it apart in no time (they sleep on/in it as well). I guess it looks enough like furniture. They pretty much leave everything else alone now.
She's a bit too young to care about catnip yet. She's taken quite well to the scratching post I made her...she loves climbing it, but she hasn't given up on finding other places to scratch yet. She seems okay with the cheap, cardboard scratching pads too, so I'm going to go out and get a few more of those and strategically place them throughout the house. At least, so far she's only tearing up things that aren't visible, like pulling loose stuffing from the underside of the sofa (but I'm trying to stop that before she gets to the visible side!) But, then, how can I be mad at her for that when she sits on my shoulder purring? :rolleyes: Once she starts to get excited about catnip, I'll start bribing her over to her scratching spots more.

A squirt gun works very well at discouraging bad scratching habits. It is amazing how quickly they learn that sinking claws into certain objects produces rain!:biggrin:

larkspur said:
A squirt gun works very well at discouraging bad scratching habits. It is amazing how quickly they learn that sinking claws into certain objects produces rain!:biggrin:
:rofl: Past experience tells me they learn quickly that they shouldn't scratch when someone is holding the squirt gun. :biggrin: I'm trying putting double-sided tape on the places she's not supposed to scratch and leaving scratching pads close by. Oh, and more toys! If she has enough toys, she shouldn't have any time left for scratching. :rofl: She was purring like mad when I brought home her latest batch of toys. :approve:

larkspur said:
Great idea, I just got a puppy who hasn't been housetrained yet. How many hundred psi?

turbo-1 said:
Nice shot, detta. I don't know the fname of that stuff, but it is VERY fragrant when you crush it in your fingers.

detta said:
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/6479/plantnf3.jpg
[/URL]

Great photo, detta!
Yes turbo-1. I've always enjoyed this one too, it is called http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/matmt.htm that describes other ways we may enjoy pineapple weed.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I'm going to buck the trend here of cute pictures of pets and gorgeous pictures of flowers. Instead, I'm going to do a closeup of a very large object! :)

disney010ve4.jpg

Zz.

Mk said:
Great idea, I just got a puppy who hasn't been housetrained yet. How many hundred psi?
Puppies are more difficult to house train. You have to try to catch him/her in the act and immediately carry him/her outside to finish. That, along with LOTS of walks outside, especially right after they get up from a nap or soon after eating a meal, followed by tons of praise when they "do their business" out there. The whole rubbing their nose in it inside thing doesn't work (in case you didn't know that). If anything, it reminds them that's where the scent is, so they'll go back to that spot over again. It's really important to thoroughly scrub any places they soil inside so the scent is removed and they don't try using that spot again (that's easier if you keep them off carpets until they're trained well). I've never used newspaper or "wee wee pads" for housebreaking dogs, because, again, then they aren't getting the point that they need to go outside, they just think the Sunday paper is fair game (which, depending on the journalistic skills of your local reporters, you may or may not agree with). Once they have the idea, the only thing that remains is to figure out what they do to tell you they need to go out. Some will bark and make it very obvious, but others will just sniff the door or sit next to it, or just give you some "look" that is more subtle. And, of course, you can't leave them alone longer than their bladder capacity can hold up, or they don't have a chance. I've never punished a dog for an accident if I was away too long, but if they didn't have an accident, I praise them quite thoroughly as soon as they get outside and go (get them outside REALLY quickly, because a lot of puppies will piddle as soon as they get excited over greeting you).

Ouabache said:
Great photo, detta!
Yes turbo-1. I've always enjoyed this one too, it is called http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/matmt.htm that describes other ways we may enjoy pineapple weed.

Thanks. I noticed it in the grass and I had no idea what it was, that's why I took the picture. And now I know. :smile:

Here's my entry:

lizaeye005crop650.jpg

I could have put in a pic of my own eyeball, but this shot of one of my neighbor's eyes is much prettier.

Wow! Zoob, that is so cool! You can actually see a reflection of the scene behind you in her eye!

Moonbear said:
Wow! Zoob, that is so cool! You can actually see a reflection of the scene behind you in her eye!
But alas, you can't the the zoob himself!

Holly sh!t. These fotos are all too good. Normally there mostly junk (sorry no offense). But man, I can't pick out of this lot! :frown:

Every damn one of them is a winner. Period.

Gokul43201 said:
Are zoobies like vampires? You can't see their reflection?

Gokul43201 said:
"...can't the the zoob.."? Are you studying the Castillian dialect of Spanish?

Anyway, she's looking into a camera mounted on a tripod that has a timer. I was well off to the side by the time the shutter clicked.

My camera boasts the ability to focus up to 5 cm away when in the macro mode. Despite the bright, outdoor light, allowing for fast shutter speed, and the tripod, she still managed to move a bit. This is the best of 7 shots I took. She didn't have patience for any more.

Oh, you don't know the rules?

If
{quote=Gokul43201;
thread title=" PF Photo Contest - I'm Ready For My Closeup, Mr. DeMille! (8/23-8/30)";
postcount=55;}
Then
"the the" := "see the"

Duh!

Gokul43201 said:
Oh, you don't know the rules?

If
{quote=Gokul43201;
thread title=" PF Photo Contest - I'm Ready For My Closeup, Mr. DeMille! (8/23-8/30)";
postcount=55;}
Then
"the the" := "see the"

Duh!
Thanks for the clarification. I feel like such a moron now, these If...then... Gokulizations of the rules of English should have been obvious to me.

Last edited:
http://static.mwnx.net/mac/PF%20photo%20contest/Snapshot%202006-08-29%2009-37-45.tiff
I took this picture by placing a neodyminum magnet under a petri dish filled with ~5 mL of ferrofluid. You can see onlooker's reflections, as well as palm trees surrounding us reflected on the surface. Down near the bottom right, you can see a fairly clear reflection of above, including the camera, my finger, a palm tree, my head, and a nearby apartment building. Every piece of dust from the air that hit can be seen interacting with the surface tension of the fluid.

It was soo fun! This was only about 5 mL of fluid, I have 15 left! Can't wait to do it again!

Man, these pictures are too good!

You'd better resize it before ZZ sees it.

Otherwise: VERY cool, and pretty!

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/1629/crash017gj4.jpg

wow what a licker-kisser! {my pet name for dogs tongues}

Mk said:
I took this picture by placing a neodyminum (N42 grade) magnet under a petri dish filled with ~5 mL of ferrofluid. You can see onlooker's reflections, as well as palm trees surrounding us reflected on the surface. Down near the bottom right, you can see a fairly clear reflection of above (another dome formed by a 3 millimeter long rectangular magnet), including the camera, my finger, a palm tree, my head, and a nearby apartment building. Every piece of dust from the air that hit can be seen interacting with the surface tension of the fluid.

It was soo fun! This was only about 5 mL of fluid, I have 15 left! Can't wait to do it again!

<sigh>

I'm beginning to think that people don't read the rules at all. :(

I'm sorry, but if this isn't resized as stated in our rules, it will not be included in the final voting.

Zz.

Sorry. I am not sure how small that is, but I made it smaller. :frown:

Thanks.

I can no longer see Mk's picture.

Here it is again, at a different place.
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2217/ferrozd5.jpg

And it is 640x(whatever). Wow, I'm getting good. :smile:

Even slightly smaller it remains a VERY cool and pretty picture, MK.