Mathematical formalism of classical and statistical thermodynamics

In summary, the lecturer has trouble with the derivations in statistical mechanics, some people find the mathematics clunky, and the entropy concept can be confusing. However, a different book or course might help.
Sojourner01
Does anyone else have a lot of trouble comprehending the derivations in statistical mechanics?

To me the mathematics feels somewhat archaic. Somehow it just seems as though it'd be neater if it was dealt with using matrix or operator methods. I always have trouble with the concept of entropy. If something can't be directly measured and isn't a real property, why bother calling it anything at all? Just impose boundary conditions on your equations of state and be done with it. I'm not saying thermodynamics is wrong, just that it does things in clunky and unintuitive ways.

Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics are by far my hardest classes. We had trouble with this lecturer last year; the trouble is, I can't put my finger on what it is he's doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sojourner01 said:
Somehow it just seems as though it'd be neater if it was dealt with using matrix or operator methods.
Stat mech applied to quantum systems commonly uses operators and density matrices. That always comes after you've learned thermo and classical stat mech, however.
Sojourner01 said:
I always have trouble with the concept of entropy. If something can't be directly measured and isn't a real property, why bother calling it anything at all?
It's one of the most useful quantities around! It would be very awkward to use if it had no name...
Sojourner01 said:
I'm not saying thermodynamics is wrong
That's a relief!

Sometimes a different book can help. Reif explains things at great length which drives some people crazy but for decades others have turned to it for help.

The primary reason you don't see a lot of operators in statistical mechanics is that either (1) the formalism is overkill for the simpler problems or (2) the formalism requires a familiarity with things like Green functions and temperature Green functions and the like, which is a semester or two of classwork in itself.

Also, I recommend that you look up Lars Onsager's original solution of the Ising model. It does not involve the standard combinatorial approach, but he invented infinite loop algebras of operators to solve the problem. You will get more than your fill of using operators in statistical mechanics from that paper alone.

1. What is the difference between classical and statistical thermodynamics?

The main difference between classical and statistical thermodynamics lies in the level of detail and precision used to describe thermodynamic systems. Classical thermodynamics uses macroscopic variables such as pressure, temperature, and volume to describe the behavior of a system as a whole, while statistical thermodynamics uses the microscopic behavior of individual particles to make predictions about the overall behavior of a system.

2. What is the mathematical formalism used in classical thermodynamics?

The mathematical formalism used in classical thermodynamics is based on a set of laws and equations known as the four laws of thermodynamics. These include the first law of thermodynamics (conservation of energy), the second law of thermodynamics (entropy), the third law of thermodynamics (absolute zero), and the zeroth law of thermodynamics (thermal equilibrium).

3. How is statistical thermodynamics related to probability and statistics?

Statistical thermodynamics uses principles of probability and statistics to describe the behavior of a large number of particles in a thermodynamic system. It uses statistical distributions and averages to make predictions about the overall behavior of a system based on the behavior of individual particles.

4. What is the role of entropy in thermodynamics?

Entropy is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics that measures the degree of disorder or randomness in a system. It is related to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. Entropy is also used to quantify the efficiency of thermodynamic processes.

5. How is the concept of free energy used in thermodynamics?

Free energy is a measure of the amount of work that can be extracted from a thermodynamic system. It is related to both entropy and energy, and it is used to determine whether a process will occur spontaneously or if external work is needed to drive it. Free energy is also used to calculate the equilibrium state of a system and to predict the direction of chemical reactions.