Integrating Tricky Functions: Solving and Proving Integrals

In summary, you can use the method of partial fractions to solve the first integral and the derivative of the inverse tangent to solve the second.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i need to solve/prove the next two integrals:
[tex]\int\frac{dx}{u^2+u+4}[/tex]
and i need to show that:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi}\sqrt{1+sinx}dx=4[/tex]
the problem is that i have a clue to substitute u=sinx and then sin(pi)=0=sin0 so the integral should be equal zero, is it not?
ofcourse the integrand becomes: sqrt(1+u)/sqrt(1-u^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first you can use the method of partial fractions.

You're right about the second. With the given limits, the integral is equal to zero.

substitute u = 1 + sin x. Are you sure the integral is equal to 4, not -4?

But the plot (area) of the function sqrt(1+sin(x)) from 0 to pi seems to be non-zero!

It's non-zero.

neutrino, how would i use partail fractions here?
i mean i need to decompose u^2+u+4 into a product of terms, but i have complex roots here.

complete the square.

you mean something like this: u^2+u+4=(u-2)^2+5u
i still don't get an appropiate term to integrate.

More like (u +0.5)^2 + 15/4

ok, thanks.
btw, what about the second integral does it equal zero or it really does equal 4?

u^2+u+4= (u + 0.5)^2 + 15/4.

edit: too slow, the second integral should equal minus -4, I guess they're defining is it as area so you just need the modulus.

Not -4. I just put the function through the Integrator and substituted the values, and I got 4. This graph is completely above the x-axis.

Btw, you will need to know what the derivative of the inverse tangent is.

Oops, I'm missing/added a minus somewhere. Didn't have the common senese to think about the graph :).

wait a minute, then integral does converge to 4, care to explain how, where did i get it wrong?

For the integral try the sub

[tex] \tan\frac{x}{2}=t [/tex]

Daniel.

but what's wrong with the substitution that I am given a hint to use here?
i.e
sinx=u?

If you let u= sin(x) then du= cos(x)dx so your integral will involve something like [itex]\frac{du}{cos(x)}[/itex] (with the cos(x) converted to u of course) but [itex]cos(\pi/2)= 0[/itex] so that is not a valid substitution.

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi}\sqrt{1+sinx}dx=4[/tex]
the problem is that i have a clue to substitute u=sinx and then sin(pi)=0=sin0 so the integral should be equal zero, is it not?
ofcourse the integrand becomes: sqrt(1+u)/sqrt(1-u^2)

You need to be careful about which square root you're using: The integrand should be:
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{1+u}}{\pm \sqrt{1-u^2}}[/tex]
The trick is that you'll be using one square root from [itex]x=0[/itex] to [itex]x=\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] and the other root from [itex]x=\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] to [itex]x=0[/itex].

Last edited:
ok, i understand the trick here, i haven't seen this point x=pi/2 as a "bad" point, thank you for the pointers.

1. What is the purpose of computing integrals?

The purpose of computing integrals is to find the area under a curve on a graph. This is useful in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, where the area under a curve represents important quantities like displacement, work, and profit.

2. What are the different methods for computing integrals?

There are several methods for computing integrals, including the fundamental theorem of calculus, integration by substitution, integration by parts, and numerical integration methods such as the trapezoidal rule and Simpson's rule.

3. How do I know which method to use for computing a specific integral?

The method for computing an integral depends on the complexity of the function and the limits of integration. In general, the fundamental theorem of calculus can be used for most integrals, but for more complex functions, substitution or integration by parts may be necessary.

4. Can integrals be computed for any function?

No, not all functions can be integrated. Some functions, such as trigonometric functions, have infinite series representations and can be integrated using specialized methods. However, there are certain functions, such as non-elementary functions, that cannot be integrated using traditional methods.

5. Why is it important to accurately compute integrals?

Accurate computation of integrals is important because it allows for precise calculation of important quantities in various fields of science. Inaccurate integration can lead to incorrect results and affect the validity of scientific theories and models.