Yang-Mills Field Strength Tensor

In summary, the term A_{\mu}\partial_{\nu} - A_{\nu}\partial_{\mu} does not actually vanish because the indices \mu and \nu cannot be simply swapped due to the fact that A_{\mu} is not necessarily equal to A_{\nu}. The product rule for terms like \partial_\mu A_\nu also contributes a similar term, but with opposite sign.
neevor
I was wondering why for
[tex]
F_{\mu \nu} = [D_{\mu},D_{\nu}] = \partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu}+[A_{\mu},A_{\nu}]
[\tex]
the term
[tex]
A_{\mu}\partial_{\nu} - A_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}
[\tex]
vanishes.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since no summation is implied, one can simply swap the indices \mu and \nu in the second term of the expression, and hence the result.

Note, to display latex use the [ tex ] and [ / tex ] tags (without spaces inside the square brackets) in place of \begin{displaymath}.

Really?
because A_{\mu} is not equal to A_{\nu} in general. So simply swapping the two indecies would just give,
A_{\nu}\partial_{\mu} - A_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}
leaving me with the same problem.

Oh yes, sorry. I just glance at it and typed before I thought really! I'm blaming it on the fact that it's late. With regard to the question, I'm not too sure.. is there anything special about A? Sorry I can't be of more help!

The term

[tex]
A_{\mu}\partial_{\nu} - A_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}
[/tex]

does not vanish.

There is a similar term, but of opposite sign, that comes from the product rule in terms like [itex]\partial_\mu A_\nu[/itex].

[tex]
\partial_\mu \left(A_\nu \psi \right) = \left( \partial_\mu A_\nu \right) \psi + A_\nu \partial_\mu \psi
[/tex]

1. What is the Yang-Mills Field Strength Tensor?

The Yang-Mills Field Strength Tensor, also known as the curvature tensor or gauge field strength tensor, is a mathematical construct used in theoretical physics to describe the interactions between elementary particles. It is a key component of the Yang-Mills theory, which is a generalization of electromagnetism that includes other fundamental forces such as the strong and weak nuclear forces.

2. How is the Yang-Mills Field Strength Tensor calculated?

The Yang-Mills Field Strength Tensor is calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the gauge potential, which describes how particles interact with each other, and the gauge field, which represents the strength of the fundamental forces. This formula involves taking the derivative of the gauge potential and multiplying it by the gauge field.

3. What is the significance of the Yang-Mills Field Strength Tensor in theoretical physics?

The Yang-Mills Field Strength Tensor is a crucial tool in theoretical physics as it helps to explain the behavior of particles at a fundamental level. It is a key component in the Standard Model of particle physics, which is the most successful theory to date in describing the interactions between particles and the fundamental forces of nature.

4. How does the Yang-Mills Field Strength Tensor relate to other physical quantities?

The Yang-Mills Field Strength Tensor is related to several other physical quantities, such as the electric and magnetic fields, as well as the stress-energy tensor. It is also connected to the Lagrangian, a mathematical function used to describe the dynamics of particles, and the action principle, a fundamental principle in physics that states that the path taken by a particle is the one that minimizes the action.

5. What are some practical applications of the Yang-Mills Field Strength Tensor?

The Yang-Mills Field Strength Tensor has many practical applications, including in the development of new theories and models in particle physics, as well as in the understanding and prediction of the behavior of particles in high-energy experiments, such as those conducted at the Large Hadron Collider. It is also used in the study of quantum chromodynamics, which is the theory that describes the strong nuclear force.