What is the formula for F(a, a+1/2, 3/2, z^2) and its general form?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the special case F(1, b, b; x) of the hypergeometic function and proving that it is equivalent to the geometric series, which is equal to 1/(1-x). The conversation also discusses finding the values of F(a, a+1/2, n+1/2, z^2) and any resources that could help with this.
Gypsumfantastic
How would i go about showing the special case F(1, b, b; x) of the hypergeometic function is the geometric series and also how the geometric series is = 1/ (1 -x)

Cheers,

Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
The geometric series ?? I get the series of [itex] e^{x} [/itex].

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
The geometric series ?? I get the series of [itex] e^{x} [/itex].

Daniel.

I checked it on mathworld that one of the special cases off the hypergeometric function is F(1,1,1;x) is 1 / (1-x) and i want to know how to show it one of my questions is also show that F(1, b, b;x) is the sum to infinity of x^n

Ok, my mistake. The factorial in the denominator simplifies through. So

[tex] _{2}F_{1}\left(1,b;b;x\right)=\sum_{\nu=0}^{\infty} x^{\nu} [/tex]

which converges for |x|<1 to [itex] \frac{1}{1-x} [/itex]

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Ok, my mistake. The factorial in the denominator simplifies through. So

[tex] _{2}F_{1}\left(1,b;b;x\right)=\sum_{\nu=0}^{\infty} x^{\nu} [/tex]

which converges for |x|<1 to [itex] \frac{1}{1-x} [/itex]

Daniel.

Cheers thanks

Sorry in advance that I'm posting the same thing in two threads.
I really need it !

From Abramowitz's book I got this one

[tex]
F(a, a+\frac{1}{2}, \frac{3}{2}, z^2)=\frac{1}{2}z^{-1}(1-2a)^{-1}[(1+z)^{1-2a}-(1-z)^{1-2a}]
[/tex]

Now I need to find

[tex]
F(a, a+\frac{1}{2}, \frac{5}{2}, z^2)
[/tex]

[tex]
F(a, a+\frac{1}{2}, \frac{7}{2}, z^2)
[/tex]

and, it would be great if I find

[tex]
F(a, a+\frac{1}{2}, n+ \frac{1}{2}, z^2)
[/tex]

are there any books, handbooks, or websites that I could find this guy?

1. What is a hypergeometric function?

A hypergeometric function is a special type of mathematical function that describes the relationship between two sets of numbers. It is often used in statistics and physics to model and solve complex problems involving probability and distributions.

2. How is a hypergeometric function different from other functions?

Unlike other functions, a hypergeometric function has three distinct parameters: the number of successes, the number of trials, and the total number of objects in the sample. This allows it to model a wide range of problems involving discrete data and probability.

3. What are some real-world applications of hypergeometric functions?

Hypergeometric functions are commonly used in fields such as statistics, physics, and engineering. They can be used to calculate probabilities in sampling and population studies, model particle interactions in physics, and solve differential equations in engineering.

4. Can a hypergeometric function be graphed?

Yes, a hypergeometric function can be graphed using software programs such as Mathematica or MATLAB. The graph will show the relationship between the three parameters, and can be used to visualize and analyze complex mathematical problems.

5. What is the significance of the hypergeometric function in mathematics?

The hypergeometric function is a fundamental tool in mathematics, as it allows for the solution of many important problems involving probability and distributions. It also has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as combinatorics and number theory, making it a versatile and valuable tool for researchers and scientists.