Calculator, Q 17 - what it getting at

• Thread starter thomas49th
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, the conversation discusses identifying a right angled triangle and using Pythagoras' theorem to solve for an unknown variable. The relationship between the squares of the sides is crucial in solving the equation.
thomas49th
img024.jpg

What is this question going for. I can identify that OTA is a right angled triangle... Where do I go from

Physics news on Phys.org
thomas49th said:
What is this question going for. I can identify that OTA is a right angled triangle... Where do I go from
Pythagoras?

[tex](x+8)(x+8) = x^{2} + (x+5)(x+5)[/tex]

[tex]x ^ {2} + 16x + 64 = x^4+10x+25[/tex]

take LHS from RHS

[tex]x^{2} - 6x - 39 = 0[/tex]

but how did you know to use pythagerous?

What relationships DO you know hold for right-angled triangles that might come in handy?

thomas49th said:
[tex](x+8)(x+8) = x^{2} + (x+5)(x+5)[/tex]

[tex]x ^ {2} + 16x + 64 = x^4+10x+25[/tex]

take LHS from RHS

[tex]x^{2} - 6x - 39 = 0[/tex]
Sorry, one correction to your second line.

[tex]x ^ {2} + 16x + 64 = 2x^2+10x+25[/tex]

but how did you know to use pythagerous?

Well, you did the hard part; spotting that it was a right angled triangle. Pythagoras' theorem holds for right angled triangles, and is a relationship relating the squares of the sides. Since the solution contains an x^2, this is quite a big hint as to what you should use.

What is a calculator?

A calculator is a device or tool used to perform mathematical calculations. It can be either a physical handheld device or a software application on a computer or mobile device.

What is Q 17 on a calculator?

Q 17 is a common way of referring to the 17th question or function on a calculator. This can vary depending on the type of calculator, but it typically refers to a specific mathematical operation or function.

What is the purpose of Q 17 on a calculator?

The purpose of Q 17 on a calculator is to provide a specific mathematical function or operation that may be needed for a calculation. This can include functions such as square root, exponent, or percentage.

What does "what it getting at" mean when referring to Q 17 on a calculator?

This phrase is often used to ask about the intended use or purpose of Q 17 on a calculator. It could also be asking for clarification on how to use this function in a specific calculation.

How do I use Q 17 on a calculator?

The use of Q 17 on a calculator will depend on the specific function or operation it represents. Usually, you will need to enter the number or numbers you want to calculate, followed by pressing Q 17 to perform the desired function. It is always recommended to refer to the calculator's manual for specific instructions.