Heat generated by friction force

In summary, the person is asking for help in determining how much heat will be generated by the friction between a circular disk and another plate, and whether it is a function of velocity, reaction force, and coefficient of friction. They mention that the friction force is equal to the coefficient of friction multiplied by the reaction force, but they are unsure how to convert this into a temperature or heat rise. Another person suggests using the motor power required to move the discs under load as an estimate for the heat rise. However, not all of the power will go into the temperature rise as some will be used for other purposes such as deflections, noise, and heat in other areas.
Prune_man
Hi guys,

I have a circular disk on the end of a rotating shaft. The disk is pressed into another plate and is rubbing together making friction. I need to know how much heat is going to be generated by the friction.

I think it is a function of the velocity of the plate, the reaction force and the coefficient of friction but I'm not sure.

I know that the Friction force, F=coefficient of friction x Reaction force.

I'm not sure how to change this into a temperature rise or even a heat rise.

Thanks guys
Tommo

Engineering news on Phys.org
The quickest way would be to take the motor power required to move the discs under load and assume that all of that power goes into your heat rise since power is energy per unit time. Of course, not all of that power will go into the temperature rise between the plates. Some of it will go into deflections of the plates and shafts, noise and heat in other areas. It should be a pretty good estimate of what your best condition would be (if you are interested in getting all of the heat possible).

Hi Tommo,

You're on the right track with your understanding of the factors involved in the generation of heat by friction force. As you mentioned, the friction force is a function of the coefficient of friction, the reaction force, and the velocity of the plate. However, there are a few other factors that also play a role in determining the amount of heat generated by friction.

Firstly, the surface area of contact between the two rubbing surfaces is important. The larger the surface area, the more heat can be generated. Additionally, the material properties of the two surfaces also play a role. Some materials have a higher coefficient of friction, meaning they will generate more heat than others.

To calculate the amount of heat generated, you can use the formula Q = μFv, where Q is the heat generated, μ is the coefficient of friction, F is the friction force, and v is the velocity. This will give you the heat generated per unit time, so you can calculate the total heat generated by multiplying it by the time the two surfaces are in contact.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is heat generated by friction force?

Heat generated by friction force is the energy that is produced when two surfaces rub against each other, resulting in the conversion of kinetic energy into thermal energy.

2. How does friction force generate heat?

Friction force generates heat through the conversion of mechanical energy into thermal energy. When two surfaces come into contact and rub against each other, the energy of motion (kinetic energy) is transformed into heat energy due to the resistance of the surfaces.

3. What factors affect the amount of heat generated by friction force?

The amount of heat generated by friction force is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the speed and pressure of the rubbing motion, and the duration of the frictional contact.

4. Can heat generated by friction force be useful?

Yes, heat generated by friction force can be useful in various applications such as starting fires, generating electricity, and braking systems in vehicles.

5. How can we reduce the amount of heat generated by friction force?

The amount of heat generated by friction force can be reduced by using lubricants, reducing the speed and pressure of the rubbing motion, and using materials with lower coefficients of friction.